Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large leafed plant suitable for outdoors

Options
  • 07-04-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We have a small patio area that I would like to have a tall broad leafed plant in but I cant find anything suitable.
    Ideally I'd love something like a banana plat of even an kentai palm type one.
    So has anyone any recommendations. The area is also quite shaded

I'm half thinking a good qhualit fake one might be the answer.

Attached picture of the space, it would go to the right hand side of the shed entrance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Calculator123

seannash wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have a small patio area that I would like to have a tall broad leafed plant in but I cant find anything suitable.
    Ideally I'd love something like a banana plat of even an kentai palm type one.
    So has anyone any recommendations. The area is also quite shaded

I'm half thinking a good qhualit fake one might be the answer.

Attached picture of the space, it would go to the right hand side of the shed entrance.

Fatsia japonica might be a good bet
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030279/uploads/editor/c8/mh1xx4jdwp2s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Oh that looks quite good. Does seem a little wide though but I'm sure I could trim it if it was getting too big.

seannash wrote: »
    Oh that looks quite good. Does seem a little wide though but I'm sure I could trim it if it was getting too big.

Yes, it's very robust. Loves shade. I have one in the ground. Nowhere near as wide as the one in that picture. Probably about 5 feet tall. Little to no maintenance. Easily trimmed or leaves can just be pulled off. Most garden centres have them. They look quite exotic. You see them in parts of Dublin Zoo. Google a few pictures of it and you'll get the idea. I really like them

Exactly what came into my head. Would be lovely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭phormium

That's what I thought of too, I have a large one in the ground in a shaded spot, they thrive in the shade. I love large leaved plants, jurassic looking ones as I call them, I have two more in the ground as well but got them from existing plants in another garden so don't know the names, both are in shade too but do die down for winter so Fatsia is probably better option if you want year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think thats the one to go for. Thanks a million for the suggestion.

Another option is Camellia. Many varieties with beautiful flowers. I have two large ones, both in pots. One flowers in Spring and the other in Autumn. Evergreen. No issue in shade. Easy maintained as long as they are in acid (ericaceous soil/compost) and well drained. No need to prune really unless you want to, just after flowering is finished. One of mine is just left bushy. The other is in parachute (clipped/shaped) form. Not cheap but a real looker on a patio in an attractive pot. I have it uplighted with a spotlight. Looks lovely at night.

Example here of a mature clipped form of the autumn flowering version. Very expensive but this is at the top end of the scale. You can get much cheaper less mature unclipped/untrained.
    https://caraghnurseries.ie/product/camellia-japonica-parachute-form/

I've attached a picture of mine at night.

Dicksonia antartica is another left of field option. Google a few images.

Creating evergreen spaces in small yards has become very popular in the last year. Several items on it on Gardeners' world and other tv shows recently. So garden centres have lots of evergreen options that can transform a concrete patio in to a rainforest. Lovely to have a blank canvas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,138 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Second the japonica, you can cut it right back if needed and it will fill in itself.
    It can get quite wide but as above, you can just pull off any extra leaves.

What about gunnera?
    I know it's invasive (out West only??)etc but it's pretty cool.
    Someone had a massive one on gardeners world last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A mystery plant started growing in a bed that had been covered in a mass of Chinese Raspberry - Rubus tricolor. The Rubus had been mostly removed and the bed left to be planted. This is in our 'new to us' garden, one that had been neglected for some time. Some robust, mysterious leaves started to appear last spring, at first I thought they were Oriental poppies, glaucous and deeply serrated/divided. We watched with interest as the plant got bigger and bigger, then when it flowered I thought it was an artichoke, though I have no experience of them.

Now I realise its a Cardoon - very similar to an artichoke and a splendid, generous sized plant with attractive leaves and a flower like a very large thistle. It didn't die back last winter and is still looking very structural and striking. I only realised when I was reading about them that they can become huge - ours got to about 5 ft including flowers, so I might try feeding it and see what happens :D

• Advertisement

What about gunnera?
    I know it's invasive (out West only??)etc but it's pretty cool.
    Someone had a massive one on gardeners world last year.

A cool looking plant alright. I saw that episode and it really added a lot to that space. Highly invasive though (west and coastal areas) and I understand garden centres are actively discouraged from selling them. Have considered them myself recently but ruled them out on that basis.

Edit. Just checked and it's actually illegal to plant Gunnera now in the Republic !

Edit. Just checked and it's actually illegal to plant Gunnera now in the Republic !

Didnt know that, I have been keeping an eye out for one myself.
    would be in a container if I do find one.
    The in-laws have a holiday home in Mayo and there is a huge one in the corner of the front garden.
    I dont think its spread at all, been there 20years.

Didnt know that, I have been keeping an eye out for one myself.
    would be in a container if I do find one.
    The in-laws have a holiday home in Mayo and there is a huge one in the corner of the front garden.
    I dont think its spread at all, been there 20years.

I guess it's classed similarly to Japanese Knotweed or Giant Hogweed. Pity, as it's such a spectacular feature.

"Gunnera is listed on the Third Schedule of the EU Habitats Regulations which makes it an offence under Regulation 49 to plant, disperse, allow or cause to grow this plant in the Republic of Ireland.

Regulation 50 makes it an offence to import, buy, sell, breed, reproduce or propagate, advertise, offer or export for sale, publish a price list, transport or distribute any species on the Third schedule. (This regulation is not in effect pending Ministerial notice)"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭phormium

I love gunnera too, massive ones in my father's garden, I'd imagine it has spread a bit but it has plenty of space so didn't matter.

I wanted to put one in a pot years ago in a shady corner and the garden centre told me it would be a full time job keeping it watered as they like wet ground. I ended up buying a smaller version of a similar type plant and sure enough it eventually died in the pot even though I thought I did a lot of watering! They don't have the height really for a small space and are more wide so take up a lot of room, nasty rough leaves too if you are unfortunate enough to brush off them.

I have a cardoon in the garden as well, impressive plant too.

I remembered the name of one of the other big leaved ones I have, it's Bears Breeches/Acanthus Mollis, lovely plant and dies down in winter, have never tried it in a pot.

Googled the other one and it's Rodgersia, again dies down in winter, also have Ligularia, big leaves again but nothing in winter.

I still think of all options Fatsia is the best for what op wants.

I took a wrong turn today and drove past a backroad garden center so I pulled in.
    Had a chat with the owner and he had a gunnera crown in a large pot.
    I bought it but I'm not too sure if it's alive.......
    Let's see what happens !

Advertisement