Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB login without smartphone

Options
  • 07-04-2021 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I do my Internet banking via PC browser. No problems logging on to AIB (I get authenticated on the phone because I have their Android app installed).

Now I want to get rid of my smartphone (for a dumb-phone), which will mean NO APP to authenticate with.

AIB in their FAQ (https://aib.ie/psd2) say: If you don’t have a mobile phone, you’ll need a Card Reader to set up for SCA (which I already have).

I can't find anywhere how to switch 2FA (SCA) from the 'app' to the card reader.

There must be a way since they can't assume that all their customers have a smartphone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My mother doesn't have a smartphone. They text her a code each time to let her log in on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hungryhill

That's how I was used (and loved) to log in until July 2019 when they sent me an email saying that SMSs were abandoned and to download the app for 2FA.

There is also a thread about this here with people saying great idea since SMSs are 'not secure'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Call AIB and get them to switch you to the card reader or tell you how.

The problem with smart phones for 2FA is that if you lose it you lose all your 2FA mechanisms, unless you have a some master reset key.

Well sms code to log in is definitely still working for my mother. I logged her in that way just this evening.

Eh, the reason why I posted this here is that I hope to avoid waiting 30 mins on the phone for (probably) some vague answer....

An sms code like Arlessiene's mother (and my other bank and tons of 2FA logins I have) would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are with AIB and don't have or want the App. We don't use our phones for financial stuff but use Desktop or Laptop.
    We have a Card Reader which needs to be used every 90 days and AIB text Codes to the Mobiles.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are with AIB and don't have or want the App. We don't use our phones for financial stuff but use Desktop or Laptop.
    We have a Card Reader which needs to be used every 90 days and AIB text Codes to the Mobiles.

My mother has no card reader and has no issue logging in. She puts in her id number and pin and then they text her a code. Why do you need to use the card reader every 90 days? Just trying to understand how there could be such different requirements for different people.

Their sms/verifications turn up half the time, ten mins late (the login times out after about 2)

Its a crap system and they shouldnt have gone live without doing a lot more checking on it

for me it's app ONLY... if I delete the app I can't login from my PC! If I turn the phone off I don't get the option to use a card reader to log on either.

I am glad though to see people able to log without the app which means it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My mother has no card reader and has no issue logging in. She puts in her id number and pin and then they text her a code. Why do you need to use the card reader every 90 days? Just trying to understand how there could be such different requirements for different people.

I don't know why with the Card Reader every 90 days but last week I tried to Log in on the Laptop and it wouldn't allow me to without using the Card Reader and the message that popped up said that I needed to use it to log in every 90 days. I have a Card Reader so I didn't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I have AIB and use it on the laptop too, they txt me code each time, never heard anything about needing an app and definitely don't have it as they txt me on a basic phone too. Use it every few days this way. Now I don't have a current account, only savings, in case that has any bearing on the method.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Call AIB and get them to switch you to the card reader or tell you how.

The problem with smart phones for 2FA is that if you lose it you lose all your 2FA mechanisms, unless you have a some master reset key.
    There are 2FA apps that will sync your 2FA accounts, Authy is one of them but there are others.

I have over 20 sites set up for 2FA so it's dead handy, and when I add an account it syncs with the Authy app on tablet and desktop.

Not sure if you can add the AIB setup to it or whether they've used some type of proprietary implementation.

I will try to call them to get this sorted (since their web chat does not seem to work!).

Do you know if it's more convenient to call their 0818 724 724 via mobile or +353 1771 2424 via Skype? (From what I read it's a ~30 minutes waiting time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hungryhill wrote: »
    I am glad though to see people able to log without the app which means it's possible.

What you want to do is to downgrade from using the app to using a dumbphone.

Do you have WiFi where the PC is? If yes then you could just keep the old phone around, connected to the WiFi only, for getting codes.

Posting my solution in case others have the same issue.

I rang their office (23 minutes wait) and customer service did a reset, so after logging in via desktop I had again the choice to authenticate whether via app or card reader (NO text option), which I chose. So the smartphone app is not required anymore. I would have preferred a text code but he said authentication via SMS is not possible since 2019.

Unfortunately I forgot to ask about the requirement to use the card reader every 90 days - as mentioned here - but I hope it's not true.

Advertisement