Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird - did I do something wrong?

Options
  • 07-04-2021 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm renting a house for a few months and am using home heating oil for the first time ever, so my experience of dealing with issues with a Firebird are zero.

The oil ran out and I didn't want to buy the minimum of 300 L needed for a delivery as I'm not staying much longer. Instead, I bought two 25L carriers and filled it up with 50L myself.

Could this cause any issues? The burner isn't firing, but I'm guessing it needs to be bled. I don't know how to do this, but before I get in touch with the owner I wanted to know if I've potentially done something harmful by filling it up myself.

Would opening the tank and pouring it in myself create any issues?

Also, is an airlock the same thing as needing to bleed the boiler?

Any help appreciated, thanks 🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Biker1

I'm renting a house for a few months and am using home heating oil for the first time ever, so my experience of dealing with issues with a Firebird are zero.

The oil ran out and I didn't want to buy the minimum of 300 L needed for a delivery as I'm not staying much longer. Instead, I bought two 25L carriers and filled it up with 50L myself.

Could this cause any issues? The burner isn't firing, but I'm guessing it needs to be bled. I don't know how to do this, but before I get in touch with the owner I wanted to know if I've potentially done something harmful by filling it up myself.

Would opening the tank and pouring it in myself create any issues?

Also, is an airlock the same thing as needing to bleed the boiler?

Any help appreciated, thanks ��

Yes an air lock and the need to bleed go hand in hand.
    Usually straightforward with a 6mm allen key. U-tube is your go to for this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

I am told you should always wait a half hour or so after topping up tank , especially if you ran out of oil. This is to allow the sediment to settle back to the bottom of the tank. Otherwise you could block up the filter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Advertisement