Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't receive OTP verification texts

Options
  • 06-04-2021 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I was with 48.ie, having ported from 3. I noticed that I wasn't getting OTP (one-time password) texts from certain websites like Amazon, Twitter and Facebook, but could receive "normal" SMS messages. I switched to Tesco Mobile to see if that fixed the issue but it hasn't.

Tesco are telling me that the companies in question are ALL using unsupported SMS providers which sounds like a crock of s***e. I did some checking of own using sms77.io to see what the HLR record for my number shows, and the MCC/MNC record says I'm still with 3. I know Tesco are using 3 wholesale, but Tesco have their own MCC/MNC, so I'm wondering if this could be the reason for the problem? And if it is, how the hell do I get it changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Did you ask 48? They might have been a better option as they are part of Three and would have more technical know-how.

You might need to ask Three to sort it as that appears to be the last correct SMS route.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did you ask 48? They might have been a better option as they are part of Three and would have more technical know-how.

You might need to ask Three to sort it as that appears to be the last correct SMS route.

I did. I've just been sent around in circles by them all to be honest. Three say I need to talk to 48 and 48 say I need to talk to Tesco Mobile. Tesco Mobile maintain the port went to plan.

I don't know how up to date the results of the HLR lookup are. I would've imagined though given I was with 48.ie for nearly a month that would've updated by now.

I'm thinking of going into 3 tomorrow and porting back to them. Maybe that will fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

magoo84 wrote: »
    I did. I've just been sent around in circles by them all to be honest. Three say I need to talk to 48 and 48 say I need to talk to Tesco Mobile. Tesco Mobile maintain the port went to plan.

I don't know how up to date the results of the HLR lookup are. I would've imagined though given I was with 48.ie for nearly a month that would've updated by now.

I'm thinking of going into 3 tomorrow and porting back to them. Maybe that will fix it?
    It will only "fix" it insofar as your texts will come through again since your number is now back where the rest of the world believes it to be.

If you ever go to port away again the chances are the problem will rear it's head once more.

Once the different provider routes go out of sync then manual intervention is required to correct it properly from my own experiences.

Keep at Tesco, they have corrected the exact same issue before for my wife. Takes no more than 72 hours.

I'd ring Tesco also, don't bother with chat/e-mail as they're usually not in-house or dedicated Tesco staff monitoring these channels and will be primarily sending canned responses back to you. If your problem doesn't fit into one of their canned responses then you'll get nowhere fast. Phone support tend to be much more flexible and better able to get a handle on non-routine problems like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

KildareP wrote: »
    It will only "fix" it insofar as your texts will come through again since your number is now back where the rest of the world believes it to be.

If you ever go to port away again the chances are the problem will rear it's head once more.

Once the different provider routes go out of sync then manual intervention is required to correct it properly from my own experiences.

Keep at Tesco, they have corrected the exact same issue before for my wife. Takes no more than 72 hours.

I'd ring Tesco also, don't bother with chat/e-mail as they're usually not in-house or dedicated Tesco staff monitoring these channels and will be primarily sending canned responses back to you. If your problem doesn't fit into one of their canned responses then you'll get nowhere fast. Phone support tend to be much more flexible and better able to get a handle on non-routine problems like these.

I went into my local Eir store this morning and switched to a PAYG SIM. Everything is working again and the MCC/MNC values look to be correct again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cyril706

Sorry for reviving this one. I'm experiencing the same problem. I've tried troubleshooting on my end by checking my phone settings, ensuring there are no blocks on OTP texts. But I haven't found a solution yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

It's best to contact your provider's customer support to see if they have any insights or solutions. They can check if there are any blocks on your account or a broader network issue affecting OTP delivery.

In the meantime, to make sure you're getting all the important verification codes, you could try using anonymsms.com to receive OTP texts. It's a free platform that allows you to receive SMS messages online without needing a real phone number.

Advertisement