Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling gear on ali express

Options
  • 06-04-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

looking at cycling gear on ali express
    im wondering has anybody bought clothing from the site and if so whats the quality and sizing like
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I have several kits from them, sizing is one up - ie if your normally large, go for XL.
    Quality isn't too bad, quite light jerseys, so for warm days. Quality of pads in shorts, probably good for 2-3 hour cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

As above. I've jerseys, most suitable for summer, quality is fine. I bought padded underwear to wear under normal shorts, no issues either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I buy most of my jerseys, and some shorts from Ali. I've never had an issue trusting the sizing charts - I'd use the sizing charts on the individual items rather than going on a generic size. Some are "asian" sizing, some western, so just use the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Im not sure about ali express but for what its worth id normally be a L but on Wish it was an XXL. Build quality was pretty rubbish but 25€ instead of 125€ for a jersey or probably 200€ for jersey and shorts was worth it for me. Use the sizing charts as was mentioned above, pain in the a**s but necessity.

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Use the sizing charts as was mentioned above, pain in the a**s but necessity.
    It takes about 20 seconds to use the sizing charts - it's actually easier than on regular websites in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ali is like ebay, thousands of sellers. Asking about quality for the site in general is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ve bought a few sets from the site and to be fair you get what you pay for. The sizing can be a bit off, but I buy my usual size without too much problem - usually I find the sleeves too short on long sleeve tops. I use most of it for commuting. I’ve found the weakest part to usually be the zips, which are quite crap and fail before anything else.
    I’m slowly replacing the cheaper bits with better quality from closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I have bought plenty of stuff from Spexcel on Aliexpress and found the quality to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It takes about 20 seconds to use the sizing charts - it's actually easier than on regular websites in my experience.

A lot of the sizing charts are bullshít though, generally jpegs copied from somewhere else.

Cienciano wrote: »
    A lot of the sizing charts are bullshít though, generally jpegs copied from somewhere else.
    Can only give my experience, and that's that they've been accurate for me. More accurate for me than some mainstream brands (Cycology spring to mind). Albeit, I have a few stores I tend to go back to at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bought 3 jerseys and 2 bibshorts from them, only 1 of the bibshorts were crap - really cheap cushioning/support.
    Apart from that, the rest were fine. Really does depend on the seller, check the reviews of sellers and see what they say.

retalivity wrote: »
    Really does depend on the seller, check the reviews of sellers and see what they say.
    And how long the store has been trading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Not sure about jerseys but don't bother buying anything electrical off it, speaking from experience - shocking bad quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

There are more than 1500 sellers of cycling gear on AE, which one(s) are you looking at? They're not all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Exactly, mojomaker.

I've bought stuff, but not from a particular supplier that I can remember. A lot of my purchase (both bike and non bike related) are bought based on a combination of the number of sales, the trading time, and customer photos and reviews.

It might be an idea, if people have go to brands or suppliers on Ali that we make a list of them here.

Spexcel, Rock Brothers, Inbike, are official stores that I follow, but I wouldn't necessarily stand over them. But I normally go as per above - sales, trading time, reviews. You can filter in Ali by "number of orders" - I normally go by that for specific items.

You pays your money and makes your own choice though. I've a few jerseys where the fit hasn't been ideal, but grand for the money. Sleeves are a thing to watch as a lot of the short sleeve aren't elasticated/ fitted, so can be a bit flappy.

Advertisement