Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wideband LNB and FBC Tuner question

• 06-04-2021 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I'm looking to replace my Sky HD service with either a Freesat box or an Enigma 2 box with dual FBC tuners. I've done a little research, but I'm a bit rusty on the tuner / LNB technology. My current setup is a wall mounted dish, with a quad LNB, four cables into sitting room. Terrestrial aerial, cabled into sitting room. LG tv has one satellite input and one terrestrial input with tv set to UK for Freesat epg. Also have terrestrial Saorview tuned in. The Sky HD box uses two of the remaining cables from the LNB.

Its an easy job to swap the LNB, so for Freesat wide-band and the TV satellite input I assume I'd need a hybrid LNB, with additional quad outputs. I'm assuming that the two wide-band outputs will go to the Freesat box, and one of the quad outputs will be for the LG TV satellite input.

My other option is the get something like a Gigablue UE UHD 4K 2xDVB-S2X FBC 1xDual DVB-C/T2 Dual E2 Linux Receiver . I'm not entirely sure which LNB I need for the FBC tuner. Will a hybrid LNB work with an FBC tuner, do I connect up the wide-band outputs on the LNB to the FBC tuner inputs?

I was hoping I could install a hybrid LNB and that it would suit either option,. Would appreciate any advice, as I've had Sky for about 10 years now, and its a long time since I've done anything to my setup.

Also seen SCR and unicable LNB’s mentioned, and again I’ve no real knowledge if they are suitable for what I’m trying
    to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If I understand you right, your existing setup should work without changing anything. Simply swap the Sky box with an enigma one using the existing 2 cables. The only time you need a hybrid LNB is if you have been changed to Sky Q and want to keep Q as well as FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ldap

I actually have the same question. I’ve a Gigablue X3 FBC box and a standard sky+HD setup. I wonder if I get a hybrid LNB, can I feed the wideband outputs to the 2 inputs on the FBC tuner to get the 8 simultaneous tuners (one handling H portion of the band and one handling V portion) and feed 2 standard feeds to the Sky+HD box? Or do I need a unicable LNB to avail of the full FBC capabilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

FBC won't work with Sky Q wideband output. Need Unicable LNBF to take full advantage of FBC. You can get Unicable LNBFs with legacy outputs (for Sky HD) e.g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

A bit late for the OP but might help someone later.

FBC tuners will work fine with standard quad LNBs (Sky HD uses this type of feed)

Sky Q uses wideband (2 cables) which are only compatible with very few satellite receivers.

In a Quad LNB setup, you have to run a cable direct from the satellite dish to each receiver.

The big advantage of Unicable is that you can send several feeds down a single cable and split the cable feed as needed.

Unicable plays nicely with FBC tuners as a single FBC tuner generally has 8 virtual tuners. With Unicable, you can send 8 feeds down a single cable to an FBC tuner and effectively have 8 tuners on the receiver (i.e. you can record 8 things at the same time).

To get Unicable, you need either a Unicable LNB or feed a Unicable multiswitch with a quad/quattro feed.

There are multiswitches capable of detecting the receivers requirements and providing Quad/Sky Q/Unicable feeds as needed.

I believe Hybrid LNBs have outputs on the LNB for both wideband (Sky Q) and Quad LNB (standard satellite receivers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Can you connect a unicable feed into a aerial/sat combiner and split sucessfully again in the house?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yes as the frequencies don't overlap. I do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

have 28 19 & 13 on a DiSEqC Switch will a fbc box work as is on this or will i have to change lnb s

Advertisement