Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Owners

Options
  • 06-04-2021 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all, I am in the research phase of deciding on a new bike. I have really come to like the Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 Aero. It would be great to get people's thoughts/experiences with both Canyon as a company and the bike itself. Also is there any other bikes I should be considering. Budget €4.5k

Type of riding I do: weekends 80km-120km mostly hills around Wicklow. I want something that is a good climber.
    Twice weekdays I do approx. 35km on each ride. My big events in the year are useful 600km+ multi day rides

My only reservation about the bike is the gearing. I don't feel the gearing is low enough for the hills I climb around Wicklow.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0-aero-di2/2397.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

McBluffin wrote: »
    My only reservation about the bike it the gearing. I don't feel the gearing is low enough for the hills I climb around Wicklow.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0-aero-di2/2397.html

Nice Bike! It has a compact chainset and an 11-34 cassette. If anything, i would have thought that gearing was too low?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ultimate instead of endurance possibly?

I've got one, Ultimate CF SL disc Di2. I love it. Gearing is good, only on the steepest of hills have I occasionally wished for a lower gear.
    3rd Canyon I've owned, highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

36/34 for the hills? You'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have the Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8 since 2017 and no issues , did not have to contact canyon since for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I bought the Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 in October, best bike i have had by a country mile ... gearing is sooo smooth and bike is as light as a feather ... I also have 36/34 for the hills and it is grand .. no bother (apart from my own fitness) -- I do spin out on descents with 52/11 but it is a bit of a trade off between hills and descents .. so overall more than happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have had a few Canyons in the last 10 years, always found them good to deal with, and only ever had one issue with a frame that developed what appeared to be a crack. I was 99.9% sure it was just a paint crack, but they offered to replace the frame straight away. It was replaced once I sent them photos, think it took about 10 days in total from the time I first contacted them to getting the replacement. Didn't put me off buying from the again, these things happen, it's how they're dealt with that's important. One issue people do have is sourcing parts like headset bearings, they may be difficult to get in a hurry but again it wouldn't put me off buying one. Bang for buck you can't go wrong. Only issue at the moment may be supply...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I have the aluminum Endurace and have been happy with the bike. I would describe the 34T cassette as adequate for the Wicklow hills, though notice a small difference from my previous bike.

Only issues I had were the rear hub is noisy (DT Swiss so you shouldn't have that problem) and having the front brake on the left side. I got the LBS to switch it over, but it would have been nice if Canyon offered this as part of the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Have you considered the Specialized Roubaix? I did a lot of research about 8 months ago into the best bike for long distances and the Roubaix won out over among others, the Endurace, the Domane, etc. The Futureshock seems to be a real game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

I've got one, Ultimate CF SL disc Di2. I love it. Gearing is good, only on the steepest of hills have I occasionally wished for a lower gear.

The Ultimate CF SL disc Di2 looks a beauty. Do you race with it? I’m thinking about the odd triathlon, can’t justify a tri bike and the Ultimate CF SL disc Di2 could do the job. Currently priced at €3,500 so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

OP.. have an Endurace myself in mechanical Ultegra. I upgraded wheels to Mavic Cosmic Pro's so made it more "Aero"... or more cosmetically beautiful in my eyes.

You'll be fine for any Wicklow hills with that gearing. When you say "low" enough I am not sure what you mean but I am on an 11-32 and rarely go up to the 32 on the rear, and that's been up all the hills of Wicklow.

Great bike overall and very comfortable for long days out. The VCLS seat post is fantastic and makes things so comfortable. Di2 is a bonus also. Agree with others that worth looking at the Ultimate also. I was hoping to upgrade to new Aeroad but some issues on that and a recall happening so looks like late this year or 2022 now. Maybe if a new design Ultimate arrives I may go for that as think it is around a while now.

The big issue you'll have it availability.. best of luck. Hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hi OP. I have the 2018 Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Aero (with mechanical Ultegra). It has a 52/36 chainring and a 11-32T cassette. I've ridden in the Wicklow mountains and I've also ridden the likes of the super steep Koppenberg & Paterberg in Flanders. You will be absolutely grand with the gearing on the bike you are thinking about. Hopefully it comes into stock soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone measured tyre clearance on the endurance ? What width tyres can it take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Comfort wise would you be happy doing say 4 to 5 days back to back days of 100km+ rides on the Ultimate. I would do maybe two of these types trips in the year and I don't want to choose the Ultimate over the Endurace and find then that the Ultimate is to "harsh/aggressive" over those long back to back days. I don't race but like to go fast in group rides (who doesn't). I guess my questions is what am I gaining if I choose an Ultimate over Endurace, is it just that the Ultimate would be marginally quicker albeit less of an all round bike?

Anyone measured tyre clearance on the endurance ? What width tyres can it take ?

it comes with 28mm GP5000 tyres, but without measuring I would say you could fit a 32mm tyre in there fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Good amount of clearance on Endurace. I've 28s GP5000 also and could go to 32 I reckon. The VCLS split seat post on the Endurace is what gives it the real comfort factor. 100k over a few days would not be an issue.. think your body will be the determining factor on this before the bike is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Comfort wise would you be happy doing say 4 to 5 days back to back days of 100km+ rides on the Ultimate. I would do maybe two of these types trips in the year and I don't want to choose the Ultimate over the Endurace and find then that the Ultimate is to "harsh/aggressive" over those long back to back days. I don't race but like to go fast in group rides (who doesn't). I guess my questions is what am I gaining if I choose an Ultimate over Endurace, is it just that the Ultimate would be marginally quicker albeit less of an all round bike?

I've had one Endurace and 2 Ultimates and would have no issue with the comfort of the Ultimate for multi day events.

The Ultimate CF SL disc Di2 looks a beauty. Do you race with it? I’m thinking about the odd triathlon, can’t justify a tri bike and the Ultimate CF SL disc Di2 could do the job. Currently priced at €3,500 so not too bad.

I don't race and haven't done much big distance on it of late but have done a festive 500 on it without any discomfort issues a couple of years ago, 80km ish a day for 6 or 7 days in a row.
    My previous bike was a lower spec older ultimate and this current one is much more comfortable, mainly down to the new saddle I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

I don't race and haven't done much big distance on it of late but have done a festive 500 on it without any discomfort issues a couple of years ago, 80km ish a day for 6 or 7 days in a row.
    My previous bike was a lower spec older ultimate and this current one is much more comfortable, mainly down to the new saddle I feel.

Have they moved away from the Fizik Saddles? My god they are horrific

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Have they moved away from the Fizik Saddles? My god they are horrific

No. Current is fizik antares, previous was sella italia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I have the Endurance AL 7.0 and really like it. It's my first serious road bike, had borrowed a Lapierre from a friend for a few months before that and liked that too. My bike was delayed somewhat, after some complaining they offered me a free jersey. Asked for a free pair of bibs instead and got them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not a Canyon owner, but I originally planned to buy one. I went with a Rose in the end - you can change a lot of the specs including which side you want your brakes - and I'm very happy with it. They're pretty competitive on their pricing compared to Canyon, although you'd need to check their delivery times but I think all makes are running slow these times.
    I only didn't get the Canyon as they weren't available in Switzerland at the time, when I was living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

No. Current is fizik antares, previous was sella italia

Ah I see I thought they had moved to sella Italia. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t stand the fizik.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I couldn’t recommend Canyon as I think they have build quality issues from my experience.

I bought a Canyon Ultimate (carbon road bike) 4 years ago. Frame cracked from a snapped chain pulling at the front derailleur within the first two years. Crack at the derailleur join. To be fair Canyon agreed to replace with a new frame and we’re efficient to deal with at that point. I was concerned then that there was a fundamental strength issue as that should not have broken the seat tube.

Two years later on the new replacement frame, the chain came off & caused the same crack in the seat tube from tension on the front derailleur. I have a power metre so know I was putting very little stress through the drivetrain (about 200w). A simple chain off should not break a frame. This time Canyon disagreed they had any quality issue & refused to replace it. They offered to sell me a replacement frame at normal cost (about €2,000). Given my experience, I now had no confidence in their quality.

Fortunately the bike mechanic I use was able to get the frame repaired. The carbon repairer was astonished how weak the frame was at that point saying ‘the front derailleur may as well have been attached to cardboard’, which confirmed my quality suspicions. He was also surprised as he said Di2 (electric gearing) puts less stress on a frame without a cable pulling.

He did a wonderful job and I’m now confident I have a stronger frame than the one Canyon supplied.

For background I’ve been cycling for over 30 years, have done a lot of touring (including one from London to India), plenty of sportives, a couple of 7 day Haute Routes, raced for a few years. I’m not a super strong cyclist but am fairly experienced, have reasonable bike mechanical ability and was very surprised by this Canyon issue. My 12 yr old Specialized carbon frame has gone through a lot more with plenty of chain offs etc with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

uphillonly wrote: »
    He was also surprised as he said Di2 (electric gearing) puts less stress on a frame without a cable pulling.

Not doubting your experience in any way, just wanted to ask about Di2.

Did you have many chain drops with it in comparison to mechanical. From what I hear they are quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

hesker wrote: »
    Not doubting your experience in any way, just wanted to ask about Di2.

Did you have many chain drops with it in comparison to mechanical. From what I hear they are quite rare.

It’s true one of the mainly lovely things about Di2 (and I assume other electronic gearing), is how clean the changing remains once you’ve done the initial tuning.

TBH - I’m not entirely sure but I think I’ve had fewer which would make sense as Di2 auto trims.

Advertisement