Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to unblock a toilet?

Options
  • 05-04-2021 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭

Have a toilet which has had issues twice in last few months....youngest child in house tends to use it and may be using too much toilet roll at a time?..... although usually asks us to clean bum after no 2 :)

Basically around 2 months ago when you would flush the toilet the water level would slowly begin to rise in it....just up to below the lip iykwim.
    I braved it after this had happened a few times and put my hand in to clear any blockage...could feel some toilet paper in S bend and moved it as best I could....
    Toilet cleared itself after a few flushes.

Same issue has arisen again ....started yday....toilet not flushing properly....dirty water rising up to below lip.....staying there....so braved it again....cleared out waste and handful of toilet paper but seemed to be toilet paper remaining out of reach in S bend iykwim.However this time the water level is not lowering at all:(

So what’s my next step....call a plumber or could I fix this myself?
    Pipes out to sewage system seem to be working fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A good plunger wil do the trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

An Internet solution which worked for us was to squirt loads and loads of washing up liquid into toilet and leave it unflushed overnight. By morning it had broken down/cleared the blockage .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If you don't have a plunger but have a mop, you can twist the mop right down into as far as it goes. Pull it out and fast (mind splashes!). Should create enough suction to clear it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

A length of hose pipe.

This seems as good a place as any to relay this anecdote.

My parents in law had a blocked toilet. My sister in law called me over to the house to unblock. I tried the plunger they had. No joy. I asked her to go out to the garage to get a length of hose pipe so I could force it through the u-bend. I looked out the window a few minutes later to see her walking towards the house with a watering can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Every house should have a plunger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

antodeco wrote: »
    If you don't have a plunger but have a mop, you can twist the mop right down into as far as it goes. Pull it out and fast (mind splashes!). Should create enough suction to clear it

Thanks....silly question but is it the end you use to wash floor that you put down into the toilet full of blocked water?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

:
    BENDYBINN wrote: »
    A good plunger wil do the trick...

Thanks....thought as much but don’t have one and it’s a bank holiday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Thanks....silly question but is it the end you use to wash floor that you put down into the toilet full of blocked water?

Yes, and it does wonders if there is no plunger around (though I'm the guy who puts a plastic disposable glove on, wraps an elastic band around the wrist to keep it on, and goes to town)

Once you're done with the mop, stick it in a bucket full of boiling water and bleach and just leave it in there. I wouldn't put it in the washing machine until I've done that first at least. Don't like the idea of toilet "matter" whooshing around the same machine I'd put clothes into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Get the mop and tightly wrap a strong plastic bag around the mop head and get it into the bottom of the bowl and pump up and down, that should do the job without getting the mop head covered in the proverbial.

Although I generally use one of these in the same way and it will clear a blocked toilet.

horobin-rubber-plunger.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

If its happening regularly, there is something catching thats triggering the blockage.

Pull off the multiquick plastic hose at the outlet, and check for anything impeding the flow.
    But plunger it as much as possible first.
    Another one worth trying is good spray from a hose; might create enough suction to almost empty the bowl..

• Advertisement
Advertisement