Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alarm recommendations

Options
  • 05-04-2021 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Currently getting my house rewired and thinking of getting a home alarm while I am at it. I am looking to get a self monitored system the likes of ring etc. without the monthly fees. Does anyone know what the implications are vs getting a certified one with regards to home insurance?

I am wondering what others here are using and if you'd have any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Don't claim any reduction for having an alarm, the consensus is that it isn't worth it. You need to arm it religiously and upkeep it regularly to get a payout, otherwise the company may try to renege when you need it most.

As for recommendations, just look up the Ajax alarm on this forum. Does exactly what you want and is professional grade. A fantastic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

vintcerf wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Currently getting my house rewired and thinking of getting a home alarm while I am at it. I am looking to get a self monitored system the likes of ring etc. without the monthly fees. Does anyone know what the implications are vs getting a certified one with regards to home insurance?

I am wondering what others here are using and if you'd have any recommendations?

Thanks

Even if you don't have a system on your insurance Id still make them aware of it if you have one installed.
    Its up to you to protect your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vintcerf

thanks, the ajax systems looks really good. I can't find the prices on their site, do i have to order from the irish seller - homesecure or is it cheaper to order elsewhere?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

altor wrote: »
    Even if you don't have a system on your insurance Id still make them aware of it if you have one installed.
    Its up to you to protect your property.

Why would you do that, that seems like terrible advice!

You are just handing them information which they can use against you if you ever come to make a claim later.

And they have no right to this information, if it is your own system and you look after it yourself, as long as you aren't claiming a discount, they don't need to know * Just like you don't need to tell them about security cameras you might have, the name of your guard dog, etc.

* Obviously I'm talking about regular residential installs, not high worth value individuals or business where the insurance company may actually require an alarm system.

Of course people should try and maintain and use their alarm system correctly, but in my experience most people don't, thus the advice to avoid messing with your home insurance.
    vintcerf wrote: »
    thanks, the ajax systems looks really good. I can't find the prices on their site, do i have to order from the irish seller - homesecure or is it cheaper to order elsewhere?

The Ajax alarm system is discussed over on the home automation forum where a couple of people have installed it, thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058052081

Homesecure will do a professional install if you want to go that way, if you want DIY install, then two European companies mentioned on the above thread sell the system and components.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Looks like the Ajax system is wireless, anyone aware of alternatives that are wired?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bk wrote: »

You are just handing them information which they can use against you if you ever come to make a claim later.

I distrust these parasites insurance companies and am firmly of the view that they will always try to wriggle out of paying up in the event of a claim. In the interests of full disclosure I now tell my insurance company in writing that I have an intruder alarm.

Expect that any omission, dishonesty or inaccuracy with regards to an insurance policy may be used against you in the event of a claim.

However I also "cover myself" by also stating (again in writing) that:
    1) I installed it myself
    2) It does not comply with EN50131
    3) I occasionally service it myself (when I have time)
    4) My partner & the kids frequently forget to set it.
    5) I am sharing this information on the basis that my policy will not be voided due to an issue with the alarm or in the event that someone forgets to set it.

I appreciate that the above will mean that I can not avail of the discount, but I feel that I can demonstrate that I have done all that could reasonably be expected. This is what counts if things "go legal".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

bk wrote: »

And they have no right to this information, if it is your own system and you look after it yourself, as long as you aren't claiming a discount, they don't need to know * Just like you don't need to tell them about security cameras you might have, the name of your guard dog, etc.

* Obviously I'm talking about regular residential installs, not high worth value individuals or business where the insurance company may actually require an alarm system.

Of course people should try and maintain and use their alarm system correctly, but in my experience most people don't, thus the advice to avoid messing with your home insurance.

The fact of the matter is when a assessor comes to your home he will also see the alarm system so saying its terrible advice would be incorrect IMO.

I was told by an assessor one day that even if home alarm is not on your insurance then it is still taken into account. Its up to you as the home owner to protect your home, if by having an alarm in place, it should be still used.
    Catch 22..

Also claiming EN50131 on your policy has issues.
    It only lasts one year unless system is tested yearly by a certified installation company. After the first year a system unless serviced is classed as a working alarm system, same as self installed systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jammy40

hi all i have a risco eius2018i2ta centrale alarm iconnect 2g/ip 868mhz 230vac 50h which i bought second hand off a buy and sell site the seller cant remmember the code i know the master code i think but was wondering how do i reset the alarm and input a new code the alarm hasnt been used in over a year or is their another way any help would be greatful thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robinlazar112
    Robin

There are many home alarm recommendation you can contacts them

Advertisement