Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do I love Aliexpress?

Options
  • 04-04-2021 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I heard a nasty rumor that import tax will be placed on all items regardless of value, starting May.

That SUCKS!!

I hate shopping locally.
    Niche items are so hard to find, impossible even.

I love amazon but even then, they want to charge me 5 euros + delivery for a sunglasses strap?

Aliexpress, those hard to find things are all just right there, at ridiculously low price.

I'll be honest, each time I hit that "purchase" button my heart does go out to those hundreds of Chinese citizens working their fingers raw in sweat shops, under the watchful eye of the Chinese government black mirror system.

None the less, those "outside the box" purchases, specific clothes items especially.

Getting the size correct can be a roll of the dice sometimes (I've yet to buy a pair of jeans from it by example) but that aside, this age of technology where we can buy items from distant lands at the push of a button;

Good times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I heard a nasty rumor that import tax will be placed on all items regardless of value, starting May.

From July 1, VAT will be charged on all imports from outside the EU. Currently it's not charged on shipments under €22. This was supposed to be abolished on January 1st, and then March 1st. So it's been extended for a second time to July 1st.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/gifts-and-consignments-of-low-value/rules-for-duty-relief-of-low-value-consignments.aspx

There's no changes to Import Duty; it's not charged (and will not be charged) on shipments worth less than €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

That SUCKS!!

I hate shopping locally.
    Niche items are so hard to find, impossible even.

I love amazon but even then, they want to charge me 5 euros + delivery for a sunglasses strap?

Aliexpress, those hard to find things are all just right there, at ridiculously low price.

I'll be honest, each time I hit that "purchase" button my heart does go out to those hundreds of Chinese citizens working their fingers raw in sweat shops, under the watchful eye of the Chinese government black mirror system.

None the less, those "outside the box" purchases, specific clothes items especially.

Getting the size correct can be a roll of the dice sometimes (I've yet to buy a pair of jeans from it by example) but that aside, this age of technology where we can buy items from distance lands at the push of a button;

Good times.

Ah lawd!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

So is that basically the end for AliExpress, eBay china\hk etc? If there's going to be "handling charges" applied like you get now from e.g.dhl of 18quid or something, for a pack of capacitors costing 80c, well that's bo11ox

sugarman wrote: »
    There will be yeah, 23% in VAT alone wouldn't even be bad but the handling fees on top is what kills it.

The Chinese will be / already are working around it though by setting up warehouses within the EU.

Any time I tried to pick Spain, Poland, Czech Republic for origin on AliExpress recently I got "we cannot deliver to your country from here" crap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

kenmc wrote: »
    Any time I tried to pick Spain, Poland, Czech Republic for origin on AliExpress recently I got "we cannot deliver to your country from here" crap :(

Same.

I foresee this being an issue.

Those niche items, they're really going to import every single one of them to a european warehouse?

I just bought - *get this* - a pair of skull ear rings, for 75 cents.

And I selected them from a range of about 100 other varieties.

I can't imagine european warehouses will realistically come stocked with that kind of selection.

Maybe we can start a petition to abolish this economic defilement?

• Advertisement

May we have a summary of wtf this is all about?

People buying tat online, now getting hit with import levies, is that it?

Is the handling fee a genuine thing or just shipping companies using the vat to chance their arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kenmc wrote: »

I was looking at a Lenovo tablet recently and got that. Very annoying as the tab in question is 250 cheaper than the local version.

May we have a summary of wtf this is all about?

People buying tat online, now getting hit with import levies, is that it?

That's about the size of it - yes.

However we're also praising Jack Ma in all his glory for establishing the largest and most user friendly export platform in the world.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I was looking at a Lenovo tablet recently and got that. Very annoying as the tab in question is 250 cheaper than the local version.

For whatever reason I was always reserved about buying phones, tablets etc off that website however.

Well, not for "whatever reason" - primarily as they're notorious for coming loaded with spyware.

• Advertisement

Is the handling fee a genuine thing or just shipping companies using the vat to chance their arm?

The latter

From July 1, VAT will be charged on all imports from outside the EU. Currently it's not charged on shipments under €22. This was supposed to be abolished on January 1st, and then March 1st. So it's been extended for a second time to July 1st.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/gifts-and-consignments-of-low-value/rules-for-duty-relief-of-low-value-consignments.aspx

There's no changes to Import Duty; it's not charged (and will not be charged) on shipments worth less than €150.

BTW
    Falsely marking an item as a gift or giving a false value on a customs declaration, is against the law. It may result in fees and penalties being applied

Vendors ALWAYS do this for any significant orders for myself and over 10's of orders, I've never had issue.

I assume the right people are simply turning a blind eye to what they recognize as subpar managerial decision making.

So, kudos my dudes, keep it up.

The Irish Revenue Service can kiss my pasty white tushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Ordered some painting frames from ali express Mid Feb. I used alibaba 10+ years ago to order electronics parts and things went smooth.

This time though I am on 3rd attempt to ship and expected delivery june or something.

Don't see myself using aliexpress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

All these taxes help pay for Anto and Britney's new house, A-rated no less, heat pump and all, and not to mention all the foreigns escaping persecution.

Take some solace from that.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Ordered some painting frames from ali express Mid Feb. I used alibaba 10+ years ago to order electronics parts and things went smooth.

This time though I am on 3rd attempt to ship and expected delivery june or something.

Don't see myself using aliexpress again.

You get the occasional bogus supplier and suppliers that legit selectively scam.

Their dispute process is second to none.

Learn a quick lesson, if your first order doesn't go through, dispute it, get your refund + use a different supplier thereafter.

On a website that big you have to expect it occasionally but their system is setup so a reasonably astute buyer never takes a loss (any buyer who abuses their dispute system should get shot into the sun - though I've read they eventually weed out those bad apples).

KungPao wrote: »
    All these taxes help pay for Anto and Britney's new house, A-rated no less, heat pump and all, and not to mention all the foreigns escaping persecution.

Take some solace from that.

I believe the "Anto" to whom you are referring is currently serving a jail term for ripping off an ATM machine.

Therefore those taxes are in actual fact covering the cost of incarceration.

Just saying, no shame in slandering with adequate precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,737 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The reviews on there are gold at time

''The doll looks amazing! and feels amazing once you have her warmed up to room temperature. It's better than a real woman because you have total control and freedom, and she doesn't complain''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I will be unpopular but I'm glad they're at least trying to slow the influx of Ch1nese sh1te. The communist party over there is pure evil

sugarman wrote: »
    Second post.

...and not just "cheap tat". It will apply to all goods from outside the EU.

Maybe you want something like a T-Shirt, a Blu-ray or Micro SD card from the UK that comes to under €22 delivered. From 1st July on wards it will now be subjected to VAT + handling fees.

A €20 item del via An Post for example will then become €28.10.

For real,

https://my.uplift.ie/

Let's make it happen.

Anyone want to draft it, or contribute to its composition?

Now taking suggestions,
    What do you want them to do?......
    Why is this important?.....

There's also

- petitions.net

- openpetition.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There won’t be a handling fee if the vendor applies and collects the VAT themselves (like Amazon, eBay and many other sites do - I’m not sure about AliExpress).

If they don’t, then the delivery company (the courier or An Post) is obliged to collect the VAT, and they will likely charge a handling fee for their efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The reviews on there are gold at time

''The doll looks amazing! and feels amazing once you have her warmed up to room temperature. It's better than a real woman because you have total control and freedom, and she doesn't complain''

Give it a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I will be unpopular but I'm glad they're at least trying to slow the influx of Ch1nese sh1te. The communist party over there is pure evil

People will buy the same stuff made in the same place, just for a higher price as the shop down the road is buying it from China too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Blame Tricky Dickie for opening up trade with China in the first place.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭blackbox

Charging VAT is perfectly reasonable when competitors from other countries already have to pay it. Chinese suppliers also pay ludicrously low postage fees even though your Irish postman has to do the delivery.

Unfortunately there is no slick mechanism where the supplier can pay Irish VAT so it has to be charged at import.

This, unfortunately, takes a considerable amount of administration that costs money, even for a low value parcel.

There may be a business opportunity for someone to compete with An Post for this administration work, but until that happens we're stuck with the amount they choose to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I was going to use Aliexpress to buy an elec bike, finally settled on one to be bought from Poland but they added VAT afterwards so the price I was expecting went up by €150 - is this correct ?

So if it seems like a dumb question but I have never used them before and I understood consumer pricing must include VAT and show the final price.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement