Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Set-up. Expectations.

Options
  • 04-04-2021 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all.

Would appreciate if you could let me know if my expectations are unreasonable.

I purchased a giant road bike last September. Delivery was slow due to COVID and Brexit. It cost over €800. Collected it during the week.

When I got to the shop they brought it to reception and I paid. Handed me the bike and that was it. Saddle was already raised. No saddle height or handlebar adjustment and no invitation to me to get onboard. I’m reading up on bike setup now and it’s not that straightforward. My question is should the shop staff have set it up for me. It’s a reputable bike shop.

Thanks

William

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

william wrote: »
    Hi all.

Would appreciate if you could let me know if my expectations are unreasonable.

I purchased a giant road bike last September. Delivery was slow due to COVID and Brexit. It cost over €800. Collected it during the week.

When I got to the shop they brought it to reception and I paid. Handed me the bike and that was it. Saddle was already raised. No saddle height or handlebar adjustment and no invitation to me to get onboard. I’m reading up on bike setup now and it’s not that straightforward. My question is should the shop staff have set it up for me. It’s a reputable bike shop.

Thanks

William

Yes. Email them and ask can they arrange a set up. If they respond in the negative give them a negative review mentioning you gave them a chance to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Plenty of videos on YouTube from the likes of GCN to help you get a fairly good setup. It's not overly difficult and a professional fit isn't really necessary unless you have ongoing discomfort or pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A shop 'fit' will be rudimentary at best and little/no better than you will do yourself using pointers from Youtube to be honest.

Once the register has rung up the sale so to speak, nobody really wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did you ask for a bike fit to get you started off?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

dahat wrote: »
    Did you ask for a bike fit to get you started off?
    I didn’t. It was only afterwards that it dawned on me.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies. My main feeling is that maybe I could do it myself but it would have been nice to have been asked if I’d like some assistance. It’s a specialty bike shop and I just expected more of them. I will email though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd just ask for it; it doesn't strike me as something every bike shop might automatically offer, but would be happy to assist with if the customer requests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've had similar experience with a 4k bike. Shop owner's wife handed it to me and said thanks. Gears not indexed, disc brake rubbing, forgot to give me the Di2 charger. Their excuse was I was collecting just before lunch break on a busy Saturday. Told them I'd buy online next time

I've had similar experience with a 4k bike. Shop owner's wife handed it to me and said thanks. Gears not indexed, disc brake rubbing, forgot to give me the Di2 charger. Their excuse was I was collecting just before lunch break on a busy Saturday. Told them I'd buy online next time
    Thank you. The front brake on mine is rubbing too. Wheel not freely rotating. Not disc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I didn’t. It was only afterwards that it dawned on me.

They won’t give you what you didn’t ask for especially as shops are flat out these days. I can’t see any issue if you ask for not now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Black Cloud

Thank you. The front brake on mine is rubbing too. Wheel not freely rotating. Not disc though.

Call into them and ask to sort this issue out. While there ask if they could assist with bike set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

With anything like that, I'd have taken it for a test ride first before cash handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lucky you if you have a next time on a 4k bike :)

I just bought a new bike and I did give it a quick check first and got them to adjust the brakes. He did set the bike up for what he assumed was the right set up for me but had it set more for comfortable slow riding so I still went at it myself when I got home. He did offer a free checkup after a month but I know what I want from the saddle better than anyone else so no point. Same for brakes as there is no perfect install as everyone likes their own level of sensitivity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm curious, how did a shop set up a bike for slow riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

MojoMaker wrote: »

High bars low saddle. Felt like I was on a mountain bike till I got it home ( slight exaggeration )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

MojoMaker wrote: »

That must be my problem - all my bikes are set up for slow riding!! And all this time I just thought it was me...:p

Advertisement