Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike project advice

• 04-04-2021 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

I've started a bike build recently with a carbon hardtail frame and have run in to a bit of bother as to how to route brake lines.

Basically, I want my brakes set up IRE/UK style with rear on the left etc. Problem is the frame is oriented for EU/US market with the routing channel for the rear brake running down the left side of the downtube. Some people have said just put the rear brake lever on the right but would not be comfortable with that. My full suss and road bike are set up as I like and I'd struggle to get used to it.

Best solution? I think my only options are to run the cable along the left of the downtube, or run it around the right and try tuck it in. Neither ideal really but I'd prefer over switching from what I'm used to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Wailin wrote: »
    I've started a bike build recently with a carbon hardtail frame and have run in to a bit of bother as to how to route brake lines.

Basically, I want my brakes set up IRE/UK style with rear on the left etc. Problem is the frame is oriented for EU/US market with the routing channel for the rear brake running down the left side of the downtube. Some people have said just put the rear brake lever on the right but would not be comfortable with that. My full suss and road bike are set up as I like and I'd struggle to get used to it.

Best solution? I think my only options are to run the cable along the left of the downtube, or run it around the right and try tuck it in. Neither ideal really but I'd prefer over switching from what I'm used to.

I have the dropper running from the left into a channel on the right side, and my shifter on the right running into a channel on the left side, set up this way from factory and never an issue, I had to actually go look out at the bike and confirm, that's how little I've noticed it.

I think you're overthinking it, put the lever on the side you prefer, run it into the channel and be done with it, that's what it's there for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah im probably overthinking it alright. I'll just have to put some transparent frame protector around the headtube to stop the cables chaffing away at the paint.

Edit: just read your post again and your set up is the normal way. I don't think you get my issue.

Yeah im probably overthinking it alright. I'll just have to put some transparent frame protector around the headtube to stop the cables chaffing away at the paint.

Edit: just read your post again and your set up is the normal way. I don't think you get my issue.

I completely get your issue, setup doesn't matter, I still have cables running into the frame the opposite side of the lever position on the handlebar.

I'm pointing out it doesn't matter.

There's no way I'd try riding with the brakes the opposite way to preferred (whatever way that is) just because you don't want a cable running around the headtube.

Another way to look at is, if you put the cable in the same side of the lever, you will most likely not leave enough slack in the cable that will damage the cable should you come off and spin the bars around, putting it in the opposite side allows more slack while keeping the cable neat.

IMG_8699-1170x780.jpg

Here's an example I pulled from the net. Not my bike, but as you can see, it's normal to route the cable around the headtube and into the far side.

EDIT: Apologies, I see you want to run it on the left and route it into the left channel. That's also possible, just make sure you have enough slack. My YT Capra has that setup.

Another pic from the net, hope it's clear.

YT-Capra-CF-Comp-5.jpg

Cheers lads. Here's a pic of the set up. I have the dropper cable routed from the right side and will be on the left with rear brake. Gear cable is coming from the left side of the downtube so that's fine too. I think ill just keep the rear brake cable on the left even though its not ideal.

51095326897_ec161752a1_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jesus that bike looks stunning, fair play to you, my current bike was sold with rear break to the right, and I didn't know, found out while going down a step slippy hill, not much fun!

Cheers lads. Here's a pic of the set up. I have the dropper cable routed from the right side and will be on the left with rear brake. Gear cable is coming from the left side of the downtube so that's fine too. I think ill just keep the rear brake cable on the left even though its not ideal.

51095326897_ec161752a1_c.jpg

On second thoughts and judging by that picture, it will most likely not work.

I suggest you just pack everything up and send it on over to me for disposal.....

I'll pm my address...

Haha cheers lads! It's a stunning frame, very light, and I'm mad to get it finished to see what it's like on the trails.

Still waiting on new wheels, tyres, rotors etc but I put on the wheels from my full suss to check out the bike. Jesus, all I can say is its one aggressive hardtail! Cables still all over the place until I finalise the lengths and fit. New ergon saddle is going on the other bike, I don't like the red and want to keep the black/yellow theme going.

51098491705_455bc4013d_c.jpg

51097687251_aaaa11aa11_c.jpg

^^^stunning

• Advertisement

Rank looking, put that in the nearest skip...

*to me

Seen you have the bike up for sale Wailin.

Not keeping it?

More of a project riz to be honest. I don't mind if it doesn't sell, it's an amazing bike to have for trail runs and big climbs. Where did you see it, adverts or mtb buy and sell on Facebook?

More of a project riz to be honest. I don't mind if it doesn't sell, it's an amazing bike to have for trail runs and big climbs. Where did you see it, adverts or mtb buy and sell on Facebook?

Facebook, recognised it right away, good luck with the sale, personally I'd probably hold on to it, but then again I hate selling my bikes.

Well to be perfectly honest I will probably keep it. I can't see anyone spending that kind of money on a hardtail. If i get 3800 for it I'll be making roughly 400 on the build price. Not a cheap bike by any means. I really enjoyed the experience of building a bike from scratch and I'd only sell it to fund another build to keep me occupied. Components getting very hard to get though and I was lucky with some parts.

Wailin wrote:
    Well to be perfectly honest I will probably keep it. I can't see anyone spending that kind of money on a hardtail. If i get 3800 for it I'll be making roughly 400 on the build price. Not a cheap bike by any means. I really enjoyed the experience of building a bike from scratch and I'd only sell it to fund another build to keep me occupied. Components getting very hard to get though and I was lucky with some parts.

I know a chap that built his bike as well, it wasn't cheap, but said the same, was a great experience, learned a lot

Advertisement