Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Moto G phones

Options
  • 04-04-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

As dad I get to buy five phones for myself, wife and three teenagers and have had great success over the years buying everyone various MotoG models while saving myself a lot of money. They all want Iphones but no way I am forking out for five of them!

That said and I need some replacements for older phones with some screen cracks and looking for alternative reliable options.

Hearing a lot about these Oppo phones but what others should I look at that have similar pricing ans specs to MotoGs?

I need to buy five and we all have SIM plans with Eir and GoMo so no contract issues.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭corkie

As no one has replied to your query.

I have the OPPO A72 (Amazon EUR 158.79), for two weeks now and it suits my needs fine.

It is 1 year old release at this stage and there is newer version of it available. But was system updated to Android 11 this week.

Compare prices for Oppo smartphones
    ^^^ Or put your required specs into that site and see the results.

See more feedback on OPPO phones in this forum thread search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Invincible

Xiaomi phones are excellent.
    Having previously had 2 Moto G's, not suffering from boot loop issues, I tried an Xiaomi having read good reviews. They're way ahead of Motorola and less expensive. Available from various sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Check out the Samsung A41. Got one from amazon.de with case for just over €200.

https://www.samsung.com/ie/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a41-black-64gb-sm-a415fzkdeua/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you port to Vodafone you can get the below for €99

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi/redmi-note-9.html?gallery=payg

"VF aren't accepting numbers from Tesco, Lyca or 48. So an Eir or three SIM are the only" -

So if you get a few sims from these you could get a few decent phones half price and just throw in your own sims. Phones come unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

You are buying phones for your three teenagers? Who is paying, by the sound of things you are? That's what birthday/Christmas/Confirmation money is for!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭CoBo55

homer911 wrote: »
    You are buying phones for your three teenagers? Who is paying, by the sound of things you are? That's what birthday/Christmas/Confirmation money is for!!:eek:

Not really your business what he buys for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Why are you moving from the Moto g range can I ask? I'm on my third or fourth iteration of them now, best bang for buck I've found. The cheaper Samsung models in particular are a million miles.back in terms of usability

• Registered Users Posts: 22,049 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Alkers wrote: »
    Why are you moving from the Moto g range can I ask? I'm on my third or fourth iteration of them now, best bang for buck I've found. The cheaper Samsung models in particular are a million miles.back in terms of usability

I am going to move off from Moto G7 Plus and thinking of really going all out and getting Mi 11 or even splash out and go for the Mi 11 Ultra. Just not impressed with any of the new G range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Alkers wrote: »

The incremental changes from Moto between 7, 8, and 9 are now so minor that the upgrades are not worth it IMO while getting more and more expensive. I may still just buy 5 x Moto G9's but it's a good time to consider alternatives.

Realme also a very decent option in whatever price range youre looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Get a handful of these:
    https://www.eglobalcentraleu.com/xiaomi-redmi-9t-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-orange-1.html

It comes in other colours as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The incremental changes from Moto between 7, 8, and 9 are now so minor that the upgrades are not worth it IMO while getting more and more expensive. I may still just buy 5 x Moto G9's but it's a good time to consider alternatives.

Fair enough, still on a G7 power myself for some time - can't fault it except for lack of NFC.

this phone has a lot going for it for the price of 180 or so

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08H5J2JWH?tag=haggle-web-es-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

powerful cpu - 732g way ahead of the likes of the 6 series cpus

decent camera

big battery life

nfc for wireless google pay etc

it's on the larger size (half a cm longer than your G7 power) but that's the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions but ended up sticking with tried and trusted Moto G's and ordered 5 x Moto G30's this weekend.

Advertisement