Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Driving License Covid Extension

  • 04-04-2021 12:22pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ cranefly


    My License expires 27th April this year, it seems i now have a covid extension til feb 2022. now here is where i need some help, i am a HGV driver, does this cover all my license categories or just the car.
    I have tried contacting the NDLS contact me section, using there own message centre, which is useless, as i have got no reply to numerous enquiries, if anyone knows of a email address for them, at least i would have something i could prove to say i tried to find an answer to this long before my license expired. Any help here would be useful.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭ GM228


    All categories are covered, check your new expiry dates here:-

    https://www.ndls.ie/expiry-calculator.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ cranefly


    GM228 wrote: »
    All categories are covered, check your new expiry dates here:-

    https://www.ndls.ie/expiry-calculator.html

    That is exactly what i checked on, and it does say i have an extension till feb 2022 earliest i can renew is november 2021. but, this site should make clear that it covers all categories of license even HGV. which you would need a medical report for as well. its the kind of thing you could be caught out on, unless clearly stated.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭ GM228


    cranefly wrote: »
    That is exactly what i checked on, and it does say i have an extension till feb 2022 earliest i can renew is november 2021. but, this site should make clear that it covers all categories of license even HGV. which you would need a medical report for as well. its the kind of thing you could be caught out on, unless clearly stated.

    There is a Q&A somewhere on their site which confirms that the extension also applies to HGVs and buses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ Mango Joe


    The NDLS Website is a joke - I hadn't heard of these extensions anywhere > Went to renew my license and you're invited to apply online as its easier etc > Makes you log in (including having an SMS sent to your phone) and then when you eventually do get to the right page to renew.......(?)...... well they've just removed the renew option but haven't bothered to put a note up explaining what is going on.

    Criminal web design - so needlessly lazy and frustrating.

    Literally had to go google searching it which brought me here!

    Muppets.


  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ Citrus_8


    Mango Joe wrote: »
    The NDLS Website is a joke - I hadn't heard of these extensions anywhere > Went to renew my license and you're invited to apply online as its easier etc > Makes you log in (including having an SMS sent to your phone) and then when you eventually do get to the right page to renew.......(?)...... well they've just removed the renew option but haven't bothered to put a note up explaining what is going on.

    Criminal web design - so needlessly lazy and frustrating.

    Literally had to go google searching it which brought me here!

    Muppets.
    What's new. Nearly everything what's Irish is lazy or ridiculously slow in regards to thinking forward, planning ahead, adopting to new technologies and progressing... On top of that - it's governmental which is lazy in all countries. They just don't care and they have very little accountability.

    As a result, we have a poorly operating country in so many aspects due lazy and outdated government's approach.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ lobbylad


    I tried to renew my licence, only to see on the website that it has a new expiry dat due to Covid of May 2022.

    However, I will be out of country in Jan/Feb 2022 that will require car hire, and surely my existing (expired but extended) licence will not be allowed by any car hire company?



  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ Vestiapx


    Probably be locked down anyway, don't worry about it.



  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ RintPete


    Same here - I plan on travelling in September and renting a car.

    According to this press statement:

    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/11c52-minister-naughton-announces-further-extension-to-driver-licences/

    "The extension is recognised by Driver License Authorities and enforcement authorities across the EU”

    My only option is to print this and hope for the best.



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭ zg3409


    This was discussed on the radio a while ago.


    Caller planned on hiring a car in Spain. He got a special letter from ndls and sent to hire company. Hire company said they would not accept letter and would not give him car if he travelled to Spain.

    Some suggestions were, if you lost your licence the replacement might have later dates. I definitely would be contacting hire company in advance and request a special letter from ndls



Advertisement