Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top up pressure vessel

Options
  • 04-04-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know if it's possible to top up the pressure in a system like the attached? I've had plumbers out to do it before but was wondering if it's a DIY option.
    It's for a solar water heating system.
    Thanks.

549166.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Yes. But we need a wider view to guide you.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Wearb wrote: »
    Yes. But we need a wider view to guide you.

Thanks. Here's a few more which will hopefully help

549186.jpg

549187.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

It should ideally be topped up with solar fluid but can be topped up via the blank capped connection and mains water but it will dilute the anti-freeze quality of the solar fluid, you can do it once/twice as it will only take 0.5 litres or less to get the pressure up to 2/2.5 bar (cold). Ensure any air in the hose is vented before connecting.
    I have topped up mine (Flat Plates) twice in the last 11 years but that's it, if you have evacuated tubes that will more than likely have reached very high temperatures once/twice since installation then maybe consider getting the fluid changed which will cost you ~ €150 at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

John.G wrote: »
    It should ideally be topped up with solar fluid but can be topped up via the blank capped connection and mains water but it will dilute the anti-freeze quality of the solar fluid, you can do it once/twice as it will only take 0.5 litres or less to get the pressure up to 2/2.5 bar (cold). Ensure any air in the hose is vented before connecting.
    I have topped up mine (Flat Plates) twice in the last 11 years but that's it, if you have evacuated tubes that will more than likely have reached very high temperatures once/twice since installation then maybe consider getting the fluid changed which will cost you ~ €150 at a guess.

Thanks for that. I got the fluid changed about 2 /3 years ago. How would I go about doing what you explained above. I've done some basic plumbing (changed taps etc.) but not something Iike this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

A few "hozelock" type plastic fittings on the end of the hose, ensure the valve above the charging point blank cap is shut (horizontally) which it is, unscrew the blanking cap, crack open the mains and get a trickle of water out the end of the hose to ensure no air present then shut the mains valve before connecting up to the charging point, reopen the mains valve and then just crack open the charging point valve to increase the pressure, reshut the charging point valve and then reclose the mains valve, remove the hose and replace the charging point blank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement