Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water coming from overflow in the attic when the shower is on

Options
  • 04-04-2021 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Morning, my partner had a Baxi Combi boiler fitted a few months ago and recently when the shower which is fed from the baxi is being run the overflow in the attic is spilling out into the back garden and stops when the shower is finished. The pressure seems to be ok on the boiler. I checked the attic a couple of weeks ago and the ball cock is free and not impeded anything.
    Any ideas what the issue could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Any idea if the combi boiler takes water directly from the mains supply? Or does it take it from the cold water tank in the attic & is Pumped to the combi?

What type of shower do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Any idea if the combi boiler takes water directly from the mains supply? Or does it take it from the cold water tank in the attic & is Pumped to the combi?

What type of shower do you have?
    I think it's taken from the tank in the attic. I don't think it is pumped to the combi as we havnt heard a pump running when the shower is in. The combi is a Baxi 600.

Payton wrote:
    I think it's taken from the tank in the attic. I don't think it is pumped to the combi as we havnt heard a pump running when the shower is in. The combi is a Baxi 600.

Can you post a photo of the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can you post a photo of the shower?
    We are out at the moment. It is something like the photo attached.

Wild guess here:

Hot water is mains pressure so 1 to 2 bar of pressure. Cold water coming from the attic tank is about 1/8 or 1/4 of a bar of pressure. When you use the shower & open the hot & cold tap together the pressure from the hot side forces water back up the cold side & backfills the cold water tank in the attic. This would raise the water level as high as the overflow pipe.
    That's a guess after only a few questions. I could be a mile off the mark. Issue is probably going on since install but not noticed for a few weeks

I would definitely get the RGI installer back to have a look at why this is happening.

Hot and cold water pressure should be the same. Hot & cold should come from the cold water tank. Both should go though a pump. Combi boiler should be fed from the tank via pump and not mains water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement