Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight 20mm/25mm conduit connectors with inspection panel

Options
  • 03-04-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

So, I'm getting ready to pull a cable and have one particular area where cable will come down interior wall (inside garage) exit to exterior and then conduit into an underground conduit (which is 25mm piping). So it drops, then 90deg bend into wall, 4" straight through wall and then an 90deg bend downwards on outside.
    It will be a fairly long run of cabling so I'm fine with spending a few extra pennies to add in access points along the route to make pulling the cable a lot simpler.

On the inside of the wall, my intention was to put a round junction like this to use as a means to access the cabling for pulling it through the conduit.
    63320_P&$prodImageMedium$
    However, it might be simpler if I get a 1-way version and centre it over the hole (i.e. mount it over the hole and bore out the back of the box for access. Previous plan was to use flex from the box through the wall to outside, but I now think centering over hole is better (still using conduit through the wall, even though not strictly necessary - will keep bugs, damp, etc. out of conduit).

The problem is on the outside I want to put another access point so that I'm not straining the cable through two 90deg bends (this is CAT5e cabling).
    As this will be at a low level, when finished I intend to put a cable protection guard over the conduit incase it gets battered by a passing lawnmower.
    So this only gives me 19mm x 19mm to put in some sort of straight joint which I can open to pull the cable through.
    What I'm really looking for is something like the elbow below, but straight and with sufficient IP rating:
    50679_P&$prodImageMedium$

Would mounting a 90deg elbow like the above be suitable method - it would be support by the upper entry point being held in the brick work and then conduit exiting the lower exit point would be secured with saddle clips.

I think this will work - Any reason not or better suggestions?

Comments

A few cat 5s in 25mm will be a handy pull.
    I personally would just come straight out the wall into the back of an inspection box and down.
    Having a second set of hands to feed the cable will go a long way. + Pull it in sections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Henry.

I used hydrodair and a duct grade network cable(poly/poly ?) in those jobs

Sweeping bends no right angles .You might get away with the right angles in a basic cat5e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A few cat 5s in 25mm will be a handy pull.
    I personally would just come straight out the wall into the back of an inspection box and down.
    Having a second set of hands to feed the cable will go a long way. + Pull it in sections

I was trying to avoid an inspection box as it will not sit inside the protection guard.

Henry. wrote: »
    I used hydrodair and a duct grade network cable(poly/poly ?) in those jobs

Sweeping bends no right angles .You might get away with the right angles in a basic cat5e

Most bends will be gradual - just this one location where it goes through the wall.

I was trying to avoid an inspection box as it will not sit inside the protection guard.

Oh I thought you were using steel conduit.
    Would you not do the outside bit in steel ?

• Advertisement

Oh I thought you were using steel conduit.
    Would you not do the outside bit in steel ?

Would have thought the same

Galvanized steel preferable to plastic with a guard

I did think about that, but I thought that if the lawnmower hit the guard it would be less like to cause any damage that if it hit the metal conduit as that would pull/loosen the clips - essentially have the guard as sacrificial.

The guard would also allow me to hide the step between the 25mm water piping used for the underground section and the 20mm out of sight - without having to have a joint either visible or buried.
    Plus metal conduit boxes have no IPxx rating - so they don't even have that advantage over the PVC.
    I've got 25mm - 20mm PVC reducing step joint which I was going to use to step up from 20mm conduit to the 25mm piping.

However, if you tell me how you think it should span the exit from garage in 20mm PVC conduit to entering the ground in 25mm MDPE water piping then let me know.
    Maybe taking 25mm out from back of the conduit box in garage would be a better solution, but it still gives me the a joint outside to consider - so I guess no real benefit.

Edit: - would I not need to earth the metal conduit as well?

I should also state that this will all be on plinth of the garage wall - so we are talking about 12" - 14" of conduit before it goes into ground.

Stating the obvious but have you thought about dropping outside in steel pipe

BTW 10/10 for planning and design on this drop lol

I only asked a simple question about pulling the cable. It seems to have snowballed from there - not of my making!

No I hadn't as I don't think it is necessary.
    I don't want the joint to be under the ground so realistically within that 12" the majority of it will be the blue MDPE coming out of the ground, then a joint, small piece of conduit and then the elbow into the wall (or else flex conduit through wall into joint).
    I don't see how a small piece of galv steel conduit about 4" long and about 6" off the ground is going to offer any better mechanical protection. Especially as it will be the MDPE at ground level where the mower will be and hence a protection guard would be a better and more visible of protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

On pulling the cables through..... Might be worthwhile to pull what you might consider a weak cable attached, side by side, to another cable. Pull some of a 'slave' cable through first and then attach your weaker cable parallel to the cable (a few pieces of insulating tape) so you are effectively putting all the strain of pulling on the 'slave' cable. Just an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

or use a fish wire and do similar to above^^

Yeah - I'll probably end up doing that, but I thought the access points at certain points would be convenient - for little additional cost.

Advertisement