Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trail Running Hotspots

Options
  • 03-04-2021 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Howdy.

Planning ahead for a staycation and would love a base that I could run on some trails everyday. Preferably a few options (routes and distances) from the base .

Know anywhere in Ireland that would fit the bill?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

AhhHere wrote: »
    Howdy.

Planning ahead for a staycation and would love a base that I could run on some trails everyday. Preferably a few options (routes and distances) from the base .

Thanks in advance.

The answer would depend on how independent you are. Could you navigate and explore an area with a low probability of needing to be rescued? Or would you only be happy on well marked trails

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Enduro wrote: »
    The answer would depend on how independent you are. Could you navigate and explore an area with a low probability of needing to be rescued? Or would you only be happy on well marked trails

Hey Enduro,

Excellent point. If I had to answer on a scale of one's own trail vs marked trial, I'd be leaning towards marked trials with the option to dip my toe into self exploration. It's kind of a non-answer I know but hopefully helps.

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Laragh is probably the best option I can think off. You've got the Wicklow Way and St Kevin's Way intersecting there along with multiple other looped trails in the Glendalough valley. Another good option would be the Mournes. The trails there are much more defined than in other upland areas and you have the option of doing something like the Mourne Wall loop if you fancy a (very) long day. Meelmore Lodge is a good base.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JohnOne21

Glen of Aherlow in Tipperary. Fairly central for traveling to. Hotel and Caravan/camping park on the trails. We have galtees, Ballyhouras, Comeraghs and Knockmealdowns close by. We have long distance waymarked trails, Ballyhoura way, east munster way and multeen way. Also loads of looped routes in Glen of Aherlow. Trails to lake Muskry and lough Curra plus unmarked routes in Galtees

Well, given the clarification, the two posts above have covered the main areas I was thinking of, Particularly Laragh/Glendalough/Glenmalure, The Mournes, and Ballyhoura. Nice one.

If you were "self-propelled" I'd be much more west coast with my recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Lots of good suggestions there.

From Dublin City centre you have howth head, the Bray to Greystones cliff walk, the Phoenix Park, and Cruagh Tibradden Three Rock all within easy commuting distance.

There are a few waymarked trails down in Kerry as well and you could mix it up with a few days around Castletownbere and a few days in Glencar (might need guiding there though)

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks folks. Very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking this but I wonder if anyone would have some suggestions for trails in Cork? I've done one or two sections of the Ballyhoura's, I guess Sheep's Head is an option if there are shorter sections on it. If someone has run any in any part of Cork and can recommend that would be great.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking this but I wonder if anyone would have some suggestions for trails in Cork? I've done one or two sections of the Ballyhoura's, I guess Sheep's Head is an option if there are shorter sections on it. If someone has run any in any part of Cork and can recommend that would be great.

Thanks.

For short loops maybe the following:
    Claragh mountain in Millstreet
    Mount Hillary in Banteer
    Corrin Hill in Fermoy
    One just outside Mitchelstown where the hostel is but cant for the life of me think of the name.

Longer routes: Duhallow Way outside Bweeng
    This is part of the Blackwater way which goes from Rathmore area to the Waterford/Tipp general area.
    As you said the Ballyhouras
    If you're really looking to get away from everything there's this: https://www.bearabreifneway.ie/maps/

Have only done a short section and is not all strictly off road but an option.
    Plenty of forestry and windmill roads around the county if you're in the know. Used to run alot of them around Rockchapel/Meelin area personally as they were close by and you would be surprised the mileage you could clock up in some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

AhhHere wrote: »
    Howdy.

Thanks in advance.

Killarney would be a good option. Lots of accommodation of all types and budgets. If you want mountains there's obviously the reeks. Old kenmare road through the national park. Any amount of shorter loops around muckross and Torc. Dingle way and the kerry way not too far either.
    Around tralee you have Brandon from at least 2 sides. Glanageenty in Ballymacelligot and Tonevane outside Blennerville.
    Endless options to be honest.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Hijack away! All discussion welcome

Thanks.

If you're able to navigate and look after yourself then West Cork has to be one the hidden Gems in the world, never mind Ireland. The Spine of the Beara Peninsula to Gouganbarra is Epic (Think there might be some marked trails around there too). The whole place is an amazing landscape. But its very very remote once you get up into the hills. So you do need to be mountain competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I’m probably biased as it’s so close to me. But if I was looking at a staycation I’d be all over the Aherlow/ Galtees/ Ballyhoura combination. Perfect mix of marked trail and unmarked, so suitable for all levels. Easy climbing trails along with hard open mountain options. Lots of options all within a 30 minutes drive. Perfect holiday for me. If only I could convince herself!

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I’m probably biased as it’s so close to me. But if I was looking at a staycation I’d be all over the Aherlow/ Galtees/ Ballyhoura combination. Perfect mix of marked trail and unmarked, so suitable for all levels. Easy climbing trails along with hard open mountain options. Lots of options all within a 30 minutes drive. Perfect holiday for me. If only I could convince herself!

And the knockmeldowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

And the knockmeldowns!

Forgot them! And sold. Now the hard work begins...

JohnDozer wrote: »

These are all in my doorstep so should probably explore more before I go further afield!

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    For short loops maybe the following:
    Claragh mountain in Millstreet
    Mount Hillary in Banteer
    Corrin Hill in Fermoy
    One just outside Mitchelstown where the hostel is but cant for the life of me think of the name.

Longer routes: Duhallow Way outside Bweeng
    This is part of the Blackwater way which goes from Rathmore area to the Waterford/Tipp general area.
    As you said the Ballyhouras
    If you're really looking to get away from everything there's this: https://www.bearabreifneway.ie/maps/

Have only done a short section and is not all strictly off road but an option.
    Plenty of forestry and windmill roads around the county if you're in the know. Used to run alot of them around Rockchapel/Meelin area personally as they were close by and you would be surprised the mileage you could clock up in some of them.

Brilliant thanks, have done Mt Hillary and shorter sections of Bweeng but not the others. Will add to the list!

If you're able to navigate and look after yourself then West Cork has to be one the hidden Gems in the world, never mind Ireland. The Spine of the Beara Peninsula to Gouganbarra is Epic (Think there might be some marked trails around there too). The whole place is an amazing landscape. But its very very remote once you get up into the hills. So you do need to be mountain competent.

I don't think I could classify myself as mountain competent though I do have a navigation feature on my watch and should probably learn to use it so I can be more adventurous. I'll look at that area, have done Gouganbarra trails but not Beara (on foot).

Advertisement