Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 60gb for backwards compatibility or ps2 and p3 slim

Options
  • 03-04-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

So with last week Iv been looking into getting a 60gb ps3 that can play ps2 discs to cover both generations . But they are very rare and very expensive . Ones off eBay would cost a fortune with customs from England . And these older ps3s prob brick fairly easy ? Then I could go down the route of buying a newer ps3 slim and buying a ps2 . But it seems very hard work be able get a ps2 working on a ps 3 ? A lot these hdmi adapters seem hit and miss ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jacovs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd get a ps2 and soft mod it. There's an awful lot of European ps2 games that are ruined by running at 50 frames per second. With a soft modded one you can play the proper 60 fps ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

How much are 60gb originals going for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How much are 60gb originals going for these days?

€150 on Ebay

Pretty sure I have 2 modded somewhere in the house.

At this point an emulator would suffice if you hankering for ps2/3 gaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    €150 on Ebay

Pretty sure I have 2 modded somewhere in the house.

At this point an emulator would suffice if you hankering for ps2/3 gaming.

No it wouldn't. Ps2 emulation has a long way to go

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. Ps2 emulation has a long way to go

PCSX2 has been fine for me and my inkling for pro Evo online, havent tried any of those weird japanese games you like tho.

PCSX2 has been fine for me and my inkling for pro Evo online, havent tried any of those weird japanese games you like tho.

Pro evo is a very simple game in technical terms. It had lots of issues with most games I've tried. It will get better but the state that it is in its not very user friendly and relies on plug ins which are always a disaster. Once it gets good enough to move away from plug ins it will be good but it's a few years out from that. PS1 emulation has finally moved away from plug ins and it's been excellent but it took years to get there. I really can't recommend it other than for very simple games or the most popular games it's been optimized around.

For how cheap a ps2 is and how easy it is to soft mod it with a hard drive, I'd recommend it over emulation.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pro evo is a very simple game in technical terms. It had lots of issues with most games I've tried. It will get better but the state that it is in its not very user friendly and relies on plug ins which are always a disaster. Once it gets good enough to move away from plug ins it will be good but it's a few years out from that. PS1 emulation has finally moved away from plug ins and it's been excellent but it took years to get there. I really can't recommend it other than for very simple games or the most popular games it's been optimized around.

For how cheap a ps2 is and how easy it is to soft mod it with a hard drive, I'd recommend it over emulation.

oh you a technophobe, tbh its not hard to manage PCSX2 with plugins, i can play pro evo with an xbox pad online with little difficulty.

Sure i soft modded your ps2 back in the day.

oh you a technophobe, tbh its not hard to manage PCSX2 with plugins, i can play pro evo with an xbox pad online with little difficulty.

Didn't realise it was you. I'm still using that ps2!

Psxc2 works well with some games but when it doesn't you have hours of tweaking to get it right or it's such a Trainwreck it's not worth bothering with that game. I'm using it a good bit now but a lot of the time trying to get the game working right is such a big hassle I end up booting it up on the ps2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

I’d agree with Retrogamer regarding PCSX2.
    If you’re playing more than one game you’d really want a separate installation per game, and some versions run some games better than others.
    A lot of fiddling around involved more so than any other emulator.
    And the emulation isn’t quite there yet but stuff is playable at least.

Running a softmodded FAT PS2 is best for speed, you just need an official network adapter for IDE drives or one of the Chinese clones with SATA connection for modern internal hard drives.
    The advantage of the original network adapter is of course the Ethernet port that lets you connect the ps2 to a router and you can actually upload games via your home network, so it saves you having to unplug the HDD each time.

FreeHDBoot is a great custom firmware method which doesn’t need you to poses a FreeMcBOOT enabled memory card.

The only trouble really is getting the PS2 to run on a modern display that doesn’t have analog video sources such as SCART, S-Video, Component etc..

There are component to HDMI devices but you need one that upscales the image to proper 720p or 1080p.

There’s a good guide on them here:
    https://nerdtechy.com/playstation-1-2-hdmi-converter

If you’re luck enough to have a CRT TV widescreen preferably then everything will be gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Actually this Kaico PS2 to HDMI cable is meant to be much better than the older models in that article and is the best out of the relatively cheaper converters:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083RY5NZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_JCZ926VEM5G8MZV63ER3

Don't forget to enable progressive scan in the game options or by holding triangle and X while booting.

If you wanted even nicer results then the OSSC is worth a look and would be great for other retro systems also but it's pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭harmless

There is emulation to a playable level and the then there is perfect emulation.
    The SNES is very close to 100% accurate emulation, I expect it could become a reality in the next 12 months.
    With that in mind where do you think PS2 emulation is at?

Some people want to play the games exactly as intended and some are happy with a close approximation.

For now you need real hardware for both ps1 and ps2 for 100% accuracy.

harmless wrote: »
    There is emulation to a playable level and the then there is perfect emulation.
    The SNES is very close to 100% accurate emulation, I expect it could become a reality in the next 12 months.
    With that in mind where do you think PS2 emulation is at?

Some people want to play the games exactly as intended and some are happy with a close approximation.

For now you need real hardware for both ps1 and ps2 for 100% accuracy.

For most of the popular games or quite simple technical ones ps2 emulation is good enough you probably won't care.

For the quite a lot of titles they will work fine with a combination of:

1: Works ok after majorly tweaking the emulator. This can be a huge amount of work.
    2: works with major graphical glitches in places.
    3: doesn't work and will soft lock at a point.

PS1 emulation is actually pretty great if you use the beetle emulation core.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

I had a 60GB PS3 that was robbed in a burglary a few years ago, that was a sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭brady12

Iv had a good few negative experiences on adverts , DoneDeal & eBay people try miss lead me into buying ps3s that arnt the model ps3 I want . Adverts seems be dodgy enough ?

Advertisement