Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat - rad

Options
  • 03-04-2021 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

One pic is a thermostat rad valve in my kitchen -
    I don’t need it - as the kitchen doesn’t get very warm despite single rad being fully hot -

However the other pic is the right hand side valve in a double rad in sitting room. - which is a double and when fully hot - the room is too warm -

I’m thinking the problem may be solved by putting a thermostat value on the double in the sitting room and turning it down a bit - leave the heating on - to keep kitchen rad hot -

I tried taking off the kitchen thermostat to see would it fit sitting room rad - the fitting is different -

My query is - can you just get a thermostat valve that will fit the sitting room rad - without having to do a bit of plumbing ! Not my area of competency - though will try it - if necessary - using you tube video !!! Thanks a lot
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

Yes, TRVs should be able to be fitted as replacements for normal rad valves without any piping modifications. I managed to do this in my house anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

youtheman wrote: »
    Yes, TRVs should be able to be fitted as replacements for normal rad valves without any piping modifications. I managed to do this in my house anyway.

I wonder could you possibly send me a pic or two of the ones you have ? Perhaps model / make?
    I sent enquiry to local plumber supplies on Saturday - I’ll know tomorrow anyway -
    I feel you can get them ok - reason is , a plumber guy on you tube who does plumbing videos for diy people said you can - in uk - anyway -
    Appreciate your reply -
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭John.G

You do them without pipe modifications but can't see how to do without system drain, while you can isolate and drain the rad, difficult to see how you can add the TRV onto one of the other valves already in place except that you have a very flexible pipe and will look ugly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like your system might need balancing, if one rad is getting very hot and another is not getting hot at all. TRVs are not expensive, so adding one to the double radiator would be fairly easy. The ones from screwfix aren't actually bad, but any plumbing wholesaler will supply.

When using TRVs they do need to be set correctly as often have a wide range of operation. I turn them fully on and when the room gets close to the desired temperature I turn the TRV till I hear the flow in the radiator reducing down. If you put your ear to the radiator you can hear this, then you know it is in the ball-park.

Sounds like your system might need balancing, if one rad is getting very hot and another is not getting hot at all. TRVs are not expensive, so adding one to the double radiator would be fairly easy. The ones from screwfix aren't actually bad, but any plumbing wholesaler will supply.

When using TRVs they do need to be set correctly as often have a wide range of operation. I turn them fully on and when the room gets close to the desired temperature I turn the TRV till I hear the flow in the radiator reducing down. If you put your ear to the radiator you can hear this, then you know it is in the ball-park.

Both radiators are fully hot , top to bottom -
    The kitchen is a single rad. The sitting room is a double rad - rooms of similar size - there are patio door and extra window in kitchen -
    When heating is on - the sitting room is very warm
    The kitchen is not as warm - obviously enough the different rad types is the reason - I wanted to put a TRV in sitting room - to keep it nice and warm by reducing the output of that rad. Without having to switch the heat off when it gets too warm - the kitchen never gets really warm / my real query is - can you get a TRV to put on the sitting room rad. - without plumbing - !!! I’m told , yes - and no !
    That’s about it
    Thanks for replies

• Advertisement

John.G wrote: »
    You do them without pipe modifications but can't see how to do without system drain, while you can isolate and drain the rad, difficult to see how you can add the TRV onto one of the other valves already in place except that you have a very flexible pipe and will look ugly as well.

Thanks - that’s no use really - don’t want it “ ugly “ looking !!!! You need to drain / isolate so -
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Both radiators are fully hot , top to bottom -
    The kitchen is a single rad. The sitting room is a double rad - rooms of similar size - there are patio door and extra window in kitchen -
    When heating is on - the sitting room is very warm
    The kitchen is not as warm - obviously enough the different rad types is the reason - I wanted to put a TRV in sitting room - to keep it nice and warm by reducing the output of that rad. Without having to switch the heat off when it gets too warm - the kitchen never gets really warm / my real query is - can you get a TRV to put on the sitting room rad. - without plumbing - !!! I’m told , yes - and no !
    That’s about it
    Thanks for replies

It wouldn't be too hard to fit a TRV to the sitting room, in fact if that rad isn't getting as much energy, it will leave more energy for the remaining radiators. I'd bleed off the pressure from the system, drain the sitting room radiator and just swap over the valve to a TRV. Then top up the system.

It sounds like you should consider upgrading the kitchen radiator to a double also, again not a massive job if you select one the same length. Radiators aren't that expensive, if you buy from screwfix they will throw in a free set of TRVs, which you could use for the other room.

Either job should be within the scope of an experienced DIYer, but if not sure get a plumber in to do both at the same time.

It wouldn't be too hard to fit a TRV to the sitting room, in fact if that rad isn't getting as much energy, it will leave more energy for the remaining radiators. I'd bleed off the pressure from the system, drain the sitting room radiator and just swap over the valve to a TRV. Then top up the system.

It sounds like you should consider upgrading the kitchen radiator to a double also, again not a massive job if you select one the same length. Radiators aren't that expensive, if you buy from screwfix they will throw in a free set of TRVs, which you could use for the other room.

Either job should be within the scope of an experienced DIYer, but if not sure get a plumber in to do both at the same time.

Great advice thanks - I had thought just changing kitchen from single to double with a TRV in case it got too hot ! Would be best solution - interesting reply thanks

Advertisement