Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tectite vs PushTite Prices

Options
  • 02-04-2021 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

Was in HeatMerchants getting a radiator and some 1/2" pex and copper pipe and inquired as to their price on 1/2" Tectite elbows. €4.29 a piece and no reduction if buying in bulk.

I'm adding a radiator and moving a couple of others and since my house has primarily Tectite push fittings I was going to stick with them for convenience (I realise there have been reports of them leaking occasionally but house is approaching 20 years old and no issues with them to date thankfully).

Now I get most of my materials in Goodwins and knew their Tectite elbows were €3.95 or €3.75 if buying 10+ so was a bit surprised with HeatMerchants pricing of them. Thought they'd be more competitive as they're quite good on piping and other items.
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Tectite-Elbow-Q15-1-2-inch.html?filter_set[]=2699,2713,2788

That said I was also in B&Q on another errand and checked their equivalent which are PushTite fittings by Excel Industries. Never heard of them previously but a single elbow was €2.50 or they had a 5 pack for €10, relatively great pricing and not what I was expecting from B&Q. Anyone have any experience of them?

7TC38Bom.jpg
    pzLbbWym.jpg

Granted B&Q gets some stick but in fairness they have great opening hours and good selection of items without the obvious price gouging you get in the likes of Woodies.

I'm going to stick with compression fittings for my current task but the B&Q offering certainly were tempting so curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

These can & do fail over time in heating systems. A friend is pulling out leaking 10 years old push in fittings in a big expensive Clontarf house this week.

Put in compression fittings. They have proven themselves over the decades. You'll rarely see a plumber using push in fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I stopped using those push fits over 10 years ago and hardly ever use pex.
    Stick to copper with solder or compression or Multi-Layer now.

Advertisement