Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this armoured?

Options
  • 02-04-2021 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Electrician put those large cables outside the house when we renovated 10 years ago. They go to a blanked wall unit - I presume a spur of some sort.

Am I right in saying that’s it’s armoured cable? Or perhaps you might clarify what it is exactly.

Presumably if it’s going underground - the workshop then it needs to be inside a specific pipe and buried a specific depth. If someone could advise where I would find this guidance/regs I would be grateful. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

Electrician put those large cables outside the house when we renovated 10 years ago. They go to a blanked wall unit - I presume a spur of some sort.

Am I right in saying that’s it’s armoured cable? Or perhaps you might clarify what it is exactly.

Presumably if it’s going underground - the workshop then it needs to be inside a specific pipe and buried a specific depth. If someone could advise where I would find this guidance/regs I would be grateful. Thank you.

Forgot pic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It’s armoured. SWA specifically. Is your workshop already wired? I’m guessing not, and the cabling was left there in case you ever decided you wanted it done

It’s armoured. SWA specifically. Is your workshop already wired? I’m guessing not, and the cabling was left there in case you ever decided you wanted it done

Exactly. I’ve two rolls/lengths of it.

Am I correct that’s it into a spur? Or is there a more accurate name?

What pipe and what depth should I put it into?

Also want to do garden lights.

It’s not terminated into anything at all, by the looks of it. Need more photos to be able to tell you anymore.

It’s not terminated into anything at all, by the looks of it. Need more photos to be able to tell you anymore.

That’s the end outside of the house. This is inside the house. (The blank on the left).

And what to bury it in?

• Advertisement

If that’s connected there I wouldn’t touch the end of it for a start. I couldn’t see anyone leaving a reel wired in though I hope.

If that’s connected there I wouldn’t touch the end of it for a start. I couldn’t see anyone leaving a reel wired in though I hope.

Well I did have problems with the electrician but nothing of that sort.

I’m nearly sure I’ve touched the ends at some stage over the last few years.

So it’s into a blank box presumably.

Obviously I’ll have a reci do the works but I wouldn’t mind knowing what type of conduit should this cable should be in if I want to bring power down to the workshop. (When it’s built).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

karlitob wrote: »
    Well I did have problems with the electrician but nothing of that sort.

I’m nearly sure I’ve touched the ends at some stage over the last few years.

So it’s into a blank box presumably.

Obviously I’ll have a reci do the works but I wouldn’t mind knowing what type of conduit should this cable should be in if I want to bring power down to the workshop. (When it’s built).

SWA can be buried direct. I think it has to be buried at least 450mm under ground though. Could be wrong on the depth.

Relax, it’s not a live cable. How far is that blank box from your consumer unit? It’s strange to leave it there, ideally it probably should’ve been left opposite the wall next to your consumer unit/fuseboard. It can be buried direct and ran to your work shop, or to your flower bed for lights. You don’t need conduit.

Advertisement