Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender demographics

Options
  • 02-04-2021 9:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It would be really interesting to get a sense of the demographics of the childfree posters here. My sense is that men tend to assume all women want children, while in reality I know a lot more women who are 100% sure about being childfree than I do men. I'm curious about what a poll would show up. While there are loads of variables we could explore, I'm going to start off with a very basic gender identity poll here.

Childfree posters - What's your gender identity? 78 votes

Female
    65% 51 votes
    Male
    21% 17 votes
    Other
    12% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Male here, I wouldn't assume all women want children but if I had to guess at the ratio of people who don't want children, I would've guessed it would be more men than women.

But so far this poll is proving me wrong ! I'm impressed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Men don't have to deal with the issue in the same way as women though, and don't have to justify their choice to others nearly as much, so based on that, I'd expect women to 'identify' as child free more than men.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Male here, I wouldn't assume all women want children but if I had to guess at the ratio of people who don't want children, I would've guessed it would be more men than women.

But so far this poll is proving me wrong ! I'm impressed

I think it is more an upfront issue for women as we know there is a timer on our fertility, which men don't have. By a certain age, the decision to have children is taken from us, and we often receive comments such as "time is running out!".
    Women also have to face the realities of pregnancy, and possibly putting their careers on hold for at least 6 months afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I think women might be more likely to identify with the label of Childfree. My husband used to call us DINKs and that was a label he liked.

I think the expectations on women in society to have kids leads us childfree women to seek a label and a grouping to belong to.

Advertisement