Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry pi model B buy

Options
  • 01-04-2021 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi, just wondering where people are buying the starter kits these days? I see the pi hut have the 8gb model at £98 but wondering if anyone knows what additional import charges I would have to pay (assume coming from UK) or if there is an Irish or european company people could recommend ? Thanks.

Comments

No. Used to have 10 Raspberry Pi's

Irish support for Raspberry Pi these days is confined to the younger age groups.

To justify my stance, in 2015 I did attend a Raspberry Pi course aimed at working adult professionals based in the Trinity science shop which has since closed.

Secondly when I searched for Raspberry Pi on vimeo, I did find a recent Raspberry Pi video. It was Irish based. Sadly completely aimed at kids.

EDIT: try RS-ONLINE. Radionics. I find their attitude very lukewarm about raspberry pi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No. Used to have 10 Raspberry Pi's

Irish support for Raspberry Pi these days is confined to the younger age groups.

Do you really need Irish support, there is soo much stuff out there on various mediums that you can teach yourself with, you don't need person to person interaction to do whatever Raspberry Pi or even Arduino projects you may have interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I ordered a Rpi4 from farnell last month, it was delivered to the local Institute of Technology a few miles from my house? Only the security office rang me to say they had it... I dunno, probably the couriers fault (UPS), the security guy said they get a lot of Farnell packages in so it was either a mix up or pure laziness, I wont be ordering from Farnell again anyway.

I bought another couple very recently, one from Amazon.co.uk and another from aliexpress - look up Rock Pi 4. They haven't arrived yet but the amazon.co.uk will be ok as you pay customs charges at checkout, the aliexpress one I'm taking a chance with as it's coming from china and could get hit with VAT charges on, some of the stuff I have ordered recently on that site has be 'forwarded' from Germany somehow though and not been hit with charges though this has never been made clear where ordering on the site.

I would therefore recommed Amazon.co.uk and be a bit wary of any other UK website unless it's very clear you're paying the customs charges up front. That pi hut price seems pretty good though https://www.amazon.co.uk/LABISTS-Raspberry-Starter-Preinstalled-Designed/dp/B08CKMYXC7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Never had a bad experience with Farnell, next day free delivery normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

TheChizler wrote: »
    Never had a bad experience with Farnell, next day free delivery normally.

Just not to the address on the package in my experience :D Yeah maybe a once off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Bought both my 4B off of amazon. First one was for a retrobox for my TV and the second was for the below.

https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG--Full-Kit_p_18.html.

On my original one i recently changed case and put a ice tower cooler on it. As the argon 1 case got hot as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bus Wanker

Cheers for the replies. Will check all those places out! The pihut and amazon.de seem good shouts at the minute but would prefer to buy Irish so will check out those too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got my Raspberry Pi off of Farnell and my Arduino kit off of eBay, both arrived promptly and exactly as described.

Advertisement