Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike to road bike tyres.

Options
  • 01-04-2021 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Recently bought a mountain bike, grand job, happy with it etc and I really only use it on the roads but it’s really tough going up hills. Lots of people cruising past and me flat out. Have been reading up on it and the big tyres seem to be the main issue. If I do change to narrow tyres, will they be slippery on wet or dry roads. Any other problems I’m likely to encounter. I’m really only looking for an easier cycle uphill, not bothered about flaking like mad after that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is all of your cycling on paved roads?
    What tyres are currently on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Mostly the roads around where I live, fairly good surface in the main. Currently bog standard mountain bike tyres, thick knobbly yokes.

Are the tyres 26", 27.5" or 29"? You'll see the size on the tyre wall.
    If you tell us the make and model of the current tyres, it might help in recommending an alternative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used slicks on a mountain bike commuting for a while. you'll have no issues with grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Recently bought a mountain bike, grand job, happy with it etc and I really only use it on the roads but it’s really tough going up hills. Lots of people cruising past and me flat out. Have been reading up on it and the big tyres seem to be the main issue. If I do change to narrow tyres, will they be slippery on wet or dry roads. Any other problems I’m likely to encounter. I’m really only looking for an easier cycle uphill, not bothered about flaking like mad after that.

No problem with slippery on paved roads. Blocky tyres are here to track in mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you switch over, lads will still be flying past you, I wouldn't hang it all on the tyres.

Will be a pain in the ass constantly swapping over as well. If you don't really need/want/have use for a MTB what about trading it for a road bike which will go a long way to addressing the basic ask in your question?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    If you switch over, lads will still be flying past you, I wouldn't hang it all on the tyres.

Will be a pain in the ass constantly swapping over as well. If you don't really need/want/have use for a MTB what about trading it for a road bike which will go a long way to addressing the basic ask in your question?

Road bikes are not a panaceum for everything. I personally very like the position on a flat bar, much more than on the drops.

There are also bikes that are weird hybrids. Effectively a road bike, endurance frame, 25-28mm tyres - but with narrow flat bars. Great for city driving.

They have many advantages over MTB: reduced rolling drag (narrower tyres), no energy loss compressing the shock, reduced weight (lighter tyres, no shock). One however get much more relaxed, urban position.

If I was the OP, I'd block the shock and get a second set of wheels and put some skiny tyres there. And stop caring if someone is faster than me - there always be someone faster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I did try cycling on the road a few times on 2.5" knobblies, on the same bike I put the 1.25" slicks, and there was a very noticeable difference. In noise too, the buzz with the mtb tyres was like being followed by a small swarm of bees.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/michelin-country-rock-mtb-tyre/rp-prod8547

I have used these in the past. They roll along really well and have good grip in the wet on the road. CRC only have them in 26/27.5 inch, but they may be available elsewhere.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Are the tyres 26", 27.5" or 29"? You'll see the size on the tyre wall.
    If you tell us the make and model of the current tyres, it might help in recommending an alternative.

Will have a look when I get home later.

I'm not bothered about "lad still flying past me" I just want a easier cycle on gradients, nothing else, I'll rarely if ever cycle off road. A road bike is more expensive hence the mountain bike. Are tyre's hard changed nowadays, haven't biked in donkeys years:(. Do I need a new tube with the tyre too.

• Advertisement

29 x 2.35 tyres.

Will have a look when I get home later.

I'm not bothered about "lad still flying past me" I just want a easier cycle on gradients, nothing else, I'll rarely if ever cycle off road. A road bike is more expensive hence the mountain bike. Are tyre's hard changed nowadays, haven't biked in donkeys years:(. Do I need a new tube with the tyre too.

Gradients are harder the more you weight. Rolling drag and aerodynamic drag become insignificant when you're climbing - you're not working hard to generate heat, just to build up your potential energy.

Loose weight and become fitter. No other way to make the climbs easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

29 x 2.35 tyres.

Ok 29 = 700c, which are road wheel size. Happy days.

Except a narrow road tyre will not fit on wide MTB rims, so let's not muck about and get a balloon slick.

There is a bit of squish to keep things comfy, easy rolling, fast and a surprisingly large amount of grip off road. Oh, and use the same inner tubes too!

I recommend these:. https://www.alltricks.com/F-183706-pneus-route/P-219055-schwalbe-big-apple-700-mm-city-tire-tubetype-wired-twinskin-k-guard-sbc?

So much so I have them (well, 26" and in white) on my 90's Kona that I use for the pub and beach.

Enjoy.

IMG_20200724_135942380_HDR.jpg

On the Waterford way.

^^^^^^^^
    What he says.
    They would suit you down to the ground.

grogi wrote: »
    Gradients are harder the more you weight. Rolling drag and aerodynamic drag become insignificant when you're climbing - you're not working hard to generate heat, just to build up your potential energy.

Loose weight and become fitter. No other way to make the climbs easier.

Exactly how do you figure that I need to loose weight. I consider myself reasonably fit from regularly brisk walking and Im as thin (ish)as a rake.

Exactly how do you figure that I need to loose weight. I consider myself reasonably fit from regularly brisk walking and Im as thin (ish)as a rake.

Then you clearly overestimate how for you are ;)

saccades wrote: »
    Ok 29 = 700c, which are road wheel size. Happy days.

Except a narrow road tyre will not fit on wide MTB rims, so let's not muck about and get a balloon slick.

There is a bit of squish to keep things comfy, easy rolling, fast and a surprisingly large amount of grip off road. Oh, and use the same inner tubes too!

I recommend these:. https://www.alltricks.com/F-183706-pneus-route/P-219055-schwalbe-big-apple-700-mm-city-tire-tubetype-wired-twinskin-k-guard-sbc?

So much so I have them (well, 26" and in white) on my 90's Kona that I use for the pub and beach.

Enjoy.

IMG_20200724_135942380_HDR.jpg

On the Waterford way.

Just to update the original post, I purchased the advised tyres from the site recommended, have changed them over and there is a difference, probably not as much as I expected but uphill appears to be a bit easier. They’re definitely a bit slippery on a damp road, then again aren’t they all on a wet road. Maybe as the other poster suggested my fitness level isn’t as good as I assumed

Advertisement