Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage payment now going to 'Phoenix 7'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Whatever you do anyway don't pick up the phone and ring KBC. Its not like you'd have your answer quicker than it took to write that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Cheers for the advice.

Seems it's a very normal practice. Life Insurance companies tend to be the investors. They're taking the risk that the borrowers don't pay off their loan early or default. Well I presume it would have to be a fair few for it to make a dent in their profits.

We are over paying anyway so will not be paying the full interest for one.

KBC can then loan out that money again. Maybe because they make the most money during the early years of the mortgage? We're 6 years in now so maybe it makes sense to cash in and start again with someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Just checked my bank details and my latest mortgage payment is also marked as Phoenix 7.
    I'm 3 years into a mortgage so it's a new one.

fjon wrote: »
    Just checked my bank details and my latest mortgage payment is also marked as Phoenix 7.
    I'm 3 years into a mortgage so it's a new one.

Looking on Investopedia it seems they get a mix in their portfolio of mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Its totally normal and actually written in your mortgage contract that they will securitise the mortgages.

They have been doing it for years and no-one has had an issue.

Then some utter rag comes along and creates a scare even though that rag (indo) knows EXACTLY what it is, yet creates a wild scaremongering BS story.

My mortgage (tracker) is with phoenix2 for about 12 years and it makes absolutely zero difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Darc19 wrote: »
    Then some utter rag comes along and creates a scare even though that rag (indo) knows EXACTLY what it is, yet creates a wild scaremongering BS story.

For all of his stories, I always wonder of he's trying to write a clickbait story or if he doesn't understand most financial concepts. I suspect he doesn't understand most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its totally normal and actually written in your mortgage contract that they will securitise the mortgages.

My mortgage (tracker) is with phoenix2 for about 12 years and it makes absolutely zero difference

Presumably you still deal with kbc if you need to do anything like increase payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Same thing happened to me. Does this affect the terms of the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dream123

Manion wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. Does this affect the terms of the mortgage?

No - your contract will be no different, shouldn’t be anything to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mine came out this morning to this Phoenix 7, however it was the original minimum repayment, not the scheduled overpayment thatI've had for ~1.5 years now.
    I was meant to ring them earlier but forgot, however its strange that the SO recipient and the repayment amount has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

retalivity wrote: »
    Mine came out this morning to this Phoenix 7, however it was the original minimum repayment, not the scheduled overpayment thatI've had for ~1.5 years now.
    I was meant to ring them earlier but forgot, however its strange that the SO recipient and the repayment amount has changed

This is what has me concerned. I only noticed tonight. Like you I've been overpaying but with a limp sum. I wonder will this continue.

retalivity wrote: »

We're over paying monthly and the correct amount came out today.

salmocab wrote: »
    Presumably you still deal with kbc if you need to do anything like increase payments?

No change whatsoever in anything. Your mortgage is still with KBC, they still own, operate and benefit from the mortgage.

Your mortgage is an asset of theirs. They simply used this asset to borrow funds from the bond market. If KBC went bust (virtually zero chance) then the bondholders would own your mortgage. (and terms and conditions stay identical)

Some bank do it the opposite way - last year PTSB borrowed from the bond markets first and then lent the money.

Generally bond owners are massive pension funds - so if you have a private or company pension your pension may have 0.0001% of your mortgage as security against the bond.

Its a fairly boring humdrum transaction and Charlie Weston knows that - if he didn't he'd be the worst financial journalist in the world because this is such an elementary transaction.

It was pure lick bait rubbish designed to scare people who would not know these things. Shameful behaviour by the indo

Its a fairly boring humdrum transaction and Charlie Weston knows that - if he didn't he'd be the worst financial journalist in the world because this is such an elementary transaction.

It was pure lick bait rubbish designed to scare people who would not know these things. Shameful behaviour by the indo

Was this a recent article? I'd be interested in having a look.

As a lay person, a quick Google showed me it was normal. My OP certainly wasn't meant to cause panic with anyone. I was just more curious than anything.

But you'd expect a financial journalist to know it for sure.

Edit: I found the link through his Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It was in the news today as well. Seems like they messed internally as this kind of securitisation isn't meant to be visible to the customer, i.e. payment name should have stayed the same

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was in the news today as well. Seems like they messed internally as this kind of securitisation isn't meant to be visible to the customer, i.e. payment name should have stayed the same

Tbf seems kinda absolutely stupid from KBC and their IT team.

Pretty moronic mistake to make to publish their reference codes publicly to the consumer.

Well well ,

It appears this so called IT blip and normal transaction has alot more meaning behind it now doesn't it .

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0416/1210209-kbc-bank-ireland/

listermint wrote: »
    Well well ,

It appears this so called IT blip and normal transaction has alot more meaning behind it now doesn't it .

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0416/1210209-kbc-bank-ireland/

Not at all.

As I said I'm in phoenix 2 fund and that was created about 12 years ago.

If you have a KBC mortgage you will see it detailed in the terms and conditions. I suspect most banks have it as it is as boring and humdrum financial transaction as you can get.

Key in ISE KBC phoenix 5 and the 2012 fund prospectus should come up.

They are mortgage backed loan notes.

Dillosk did one in February,
    Bank of Ireland call them "covered bonds" and placed one last December.

Bog standard funding instrument.

Not at all.

As I said I'm in phoenix 2 fund and that was created about 12 years ago.

If you have a KBC mortgage you will see it detailed in the terms and conditions. I suspect most banks have it as it is as boring and humdrum financial transaction as you can get.

Key in ISE KBC phoenix 5 and the 2012 fund prospectus should come up.

They are mortgage backed loan notes.

Dillosk did one in February,
    Bank of Ireland call them "covered bonds" and placed one last December.

Bog standard funding instrument.

Why do you need funding if your selling the entire portfolios in a few weeks. It's a bit suspect tbh. It would be normal of the current events had not transpired

• Advertisement

Why do you need funding if your selling the entire portfolios in a few weeks. It's a bit suspect tbh. It would be normal of the current events had not transpired

KBC are an international bank. They are still very much open and lending. Just not in Ireland.

KBC are an international bank. They are still very much open and lending. Just not in Ireland.

Theyre international? No way :P.. ;)

Leveraging assets you are intending on selling as security to get more funding is odd. That's my point . It doesn't matter how international they are for leveraging of those assets.

Theyre international? No way :P.. ;)

Leveraging assets you are intending on selling as security to get more funding is odd. That's my point . It doesn't matter how international they are for leveraging of those assets.

The bond went to market in February.

They did similar several times over the years as has nearly every bank. (Not just here)

It really is a very boring normal activity of a bank.

As I said, my mortgage is phoenix 2. I know that because the mortgage interest relief would have phoenix 2 on it since about 2009.

Since then you've had phoenix 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7

Google it and you can read the 100+ page prospectus of whichever one you like.

The main buyers of these bonds are pension funds

Advertisement