Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation PLC Question

Options
  • 01-04-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi all im doing a plc programming course and this question has come up in a student exercise for over the easter.

Multiple CPU modules are mounted on the same base unit in many cases within factory automation.

• What advantages does it offer?
    • Chose a suitable PLC and application suitable for multiple CPU modules.

Can any one here help explain this a bit.

all i have at the moment is you can have one cpu running a routine to control a robot and another cpu running a routine to control a conveyor and part counter.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

pdiddy wrote: »
    Hi all im doing a plc programming course and this question has come up in a student exercise for over the easter.

Multiple CPU modules are mounted on the same base unit in many cases within factory automation.

Can any one here help explain this a bit.

all i have at the moment is you can have one cpu running a routine to control a robot and another cpu running a routine to control a conveyor and part counter.

Thanks

Provides efficiency for the operator ie you can have a control room to oversee all routines from one point

For the example you can create a process flow like you have

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Redundancy. In the event that one CPU fails the other takes over.

I installed a Siemens S400H PLC in a tank farm in a pharmaceutical plant.
    The "H" is for high reliability. This had a redundant CPU configuration. Why? Because the entire plant depended on the tank farm, so we needed a very resilient control system.

So in your example if the robot fed the conveyor then you would have 2 single points of failure i.e. the loss of either CPU will result in system failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Cheers for the replies lads

PLC i Picked was the Mitsubishi Q Series mainly because all were using in the labs is GX works

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cheers for the replies lads

PLC i Picked was the Mitsubishi Q Series mainly because all were using in the labs is GX works

Half the automation engineers in ireland learnt how to program PLC’s on Mitsubishi’s thanks to a very talented lecturer who past away far too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

2011 wrote: »
    Half the automation engineers in ireland learnt how to program PLC’s on Mitsubishi’s thanks to a very talented lecturer who past away far too young.

I find the gx works 3 nice to work with and not to expensive, but Allen Bradley and Siemens seem to be the most popular in industry its just a pity the colleges haven't got the facilities to give labs on all 3.
    I know the programming would be much the same but would still be nice to get a few labs on all 3 to get some experience. The software is pretty spicy for the Siemens and Allen Bradley

• Advertisement
Advertisement