Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get my head around domestic heating system

Options
  • 31-03-2021 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

This is just theoretical for my own understanding.

In a vented system where there's a cold water tank in the attic, I'm trying to figure out if it's the same pipe of hot water heating the coiled water tank and radiators?

When the water is heated by the boiler, does that one pipe with hot water split off to the coiled tank and also continue onto the rads?

If water is lost from the radiator, is there a water pipe from the cold water tank in the attic to the boiler?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

548784.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Does heat not travel up the cold water pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

Pussyhands wrote: »
    This is just theoretical for my own understanding.

In a vented system where there's a cold water tank in the attic, I'm trying to figure out if it's the same pipe of hot water heating the coiled water tank and radiators?

When the water is heated by the boiler, does that one pipe with hot water split off to the coiled tank and also continue onto the rads?

If water is lost from the radiator, is there a water pipe from the cold water tank in the attic to the boiler?

Answer to both your questions is yes.
    1. radiators and cylinder are all piped in parallel. So the hot water feed from the boiler 'splits' several times for each radiator and cylinder.
    2. If water is lost from the radiators then it is automatically 'topped up' by the feed from the attic tank.
    3. some heat will make its way up the expansion pipe that has its overflow overhead the header tank. But under normal conditions there is no 'flow' through the expansion pipe (for emergencies or upset conditions only) so no big deal.

Advertisement