Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bike online from uk - silly?

Options
  • 31-03-2021 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I'd like to buy a bike from Planet X but the whole rigmarole involving customs duties and VAT now is putting me off and I'm not sure what extra I'd be stung with. Am I better off going with some German or Dutch site? Sorry other people possibly already had this conversation back in January!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If the saving compared to buying elsewhere is greater than the VAT and duty you'll pay, then there's no reason not to. However, I'd be careful with Planet X because there are reports that they were charging double VAT. Not sure if that's still happening.
    https://road.cc/content/news/planet-x-customers-continent-paying-uk-vat-280099

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ARX

I think you'll be paying Irish VAT instead of UK VAT - no big difference. But you'll also be paying duty of (I think) 14%, which has put me off the idea of buying a Ribble. Framesets are subject to duty at 4% AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

It would probably need to be a decent saving once Irish VAT is taken into account, due to the import duty that will be charged on top. I bought a Ribble just after the new year, and was fortunate that they decided to refund the import duty amount due to unclear advisories on their site. Without that refund, there wouldn't have been any appreciable saving over a bike with similar spec levels from the likes of Canyon, Giant, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Be particularly careful with Planet X, as per Chips Lovell.
    I've heard of a person paying U.K. V.A.T. and taxes and then having to make a further payment to Courier Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

buy one in Newry and cycle back :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

If the saving compared to buying elsewhere is greater than the VAT and duty you'll pay, then there's no reason not to. However, I'd be careful with Planet X because there are reports that they were charging double VAT. Not sure if that's still happening.
    https://road.cc/content/news/planet-x-customers-continent-paying-uk-vat-280099

Thanks for the warning, looks like it's still going on. A customer service agent was very vague about the whole thing on their online chat service. I'll stay clear out of principle.
    A pity as they have a nice hybrid on reasonable offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Whats happening with double vat is that the uk website will charge vat. Customs will then charge vat. Then u have to request a uk vat refund. Dont understand why online sites arent updating their costings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They nearly all are, PlanetX is a law unto themselves.

I don't even think about buying from the UK anymore. When brexit kicked in, that was it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beirut wrote: »
    I don't even think about buying from the UK anymore. When brexit kicked in, that was it for me.

ditto, which is unfortunate because planetx have some nice titanium bikes.

• Advertisement

Got the following from customer service:

Prices on the website do not include VAT, Any appropriate tax will be charged for by the courier upon entry into the country of delivery.

Whilst it may show VAT on the invoice included with your order, this has not been charged. We are currently amending our systems to ensure that this will not be displayed in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

PX shouldn't be rewarded for this laziness by orders from ROI.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    PX shouldn't be rewarded for this laziness by orders from ROI.

Worse than laziness, it's going very close to an untruth. Prices don't include vat? Really? I'd be very surprised if UK customers were charged vat on top of the online price. I think what they're not quite saying is that prices don't include vat for international customers because the price including UK vat is the flat price for international buyers.
    A form of weasel words that has lost them my custom.

Advertisement