Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's helmets (not a requirements debate!!)

Options
  • 31-03-2021 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering does anybody have advice on good quality reasonably priced brands of helmets for kids?
    My 6 year old needs a new helmet and I'm struggling to find anything suitable.
    It's all either v young kids helmets, with pictures all over them which are usually too small. (She had a Disney Princess I've on the part, but is way too big for that sort of thing now :) )
    Or adult helmets, which would be massive on her.

I measured her head as 53cm, which also seems to be an awkward size.

I haven't gotten to any LBS recently, which is probably the best option really. Was hoping I might get better value online, but know this comes with these problems of guessing fit and style from pictures.

Best I've found at the moment is this one on Amazon

My 4 year old also needs to graduate from her Peppa helmet, so hopefully will be easier buying for second once I figure this out.

Also, I don't think anybody feels that strongly that kids shouldn't wear helmets (out should have right to choose etc), but if you do, please keep that it of this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best range of (adult!) helmets i've seen by far in any shop in dublin (if that's where you live) was the cycle superstore.
    not sure if they'd match that range in kids helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lidl had them in a week or two ago and are pretty decent. Basically small in adult colours for the most part, grey/green, grey/blue and then there is one girly colour. My kids are happy to wear them compared to their more kiddy versions when they were younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I bought a giro scamp for my little fella although I think yours might be on the upper side of the fit,cycle superstore is where I got mine they seem to have xs and x not sure if it comes in a medium bit s does up to 53cm

I believe there are other giro models for youth sizes and they have mips system

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

We got one in decathlon for my 5 year old - this one.
    It's a good fit, nice and light and most importantly she happily wears it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got an Enduro one for my son, not plain like an adults but not child like like other brands, will dig out the name later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Got an Enduro one for my son, not plain like an adults but not child like like other brands, will dig out the name later.

This one: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=116859
    Red one

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Got two Lazer J1 helmets recently and they seem really good. Much better fit than the last helmets we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I got this for my young lad when he was 6. Very good quality helmet, fits nicely, looks good and the main thing he doesn't moan about it.

Bit pricey but it was worth it. I've a few kids under 10 and this is the best one I've gotten over the years.

https://www.360cycles.ie/abus-helmet-abus-youn-i-youth.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Thanks for the replies, it's a pain trying to get into anywhere to actually try them on at the moment.
    I went with the Amazon one in the end, mostly because she said she liked it, hopefully it will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

my daughter and her big head have this one -

https://www.giro.co.uk/products/detail/GIHHAL/hale-youth-junior-helmet/?ng=31

GIHHAL_27236.jpg?width=1200

she likes it. the visor clips on and off very easily and it has a cool design on the back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement