Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect smart devices to EIR fiber modem

Options
  • 30-03-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't connect smart devices to EIR fiber modem. They old ones worked perfectly with the old setup. Thinking I wasn't resetting the devices properly I bought new ones. Still the same problem. It's like they just will not pair with the Wi-Fi. I've turned off the 5ghz band too but still nothing.
    Please and ideas??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't have Eir so I can't be sure but a friend was having problems with some smart stuff (like Netflix on the TV) and to solve it it just needed uPnP to be disabled on the router, try disabling that and see how you go.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

What was the "old setup", a different modem? Have you enabled the 2.4Ghz band on the modem (thats the frequency most IoT devices use)?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Spocker wrote: »
    What was the "old setup", a different modem? Have you enabled the 2.4Ghz band on the modem (thats the frequency most IoT devices use)?

This. Was just about to post that. Most IOT devices run on 2.4Ghz and your modem is probably set to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. You will need to log int and disable 5Ghz first. Connect your devices and then you can put 5Ghz back on. This is coming from my experience of currently having 25+ smart devices and had to do this to get any to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Is the router using IPV4 or IPV6? if its 6 it could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Try pairing it not far from the router aswel firstly perhaps if above fails, I know I had a smart plug that i didn't think was far away but was a right pain because the wifi signal on those eir routers are sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

I ended up setting up my old router with the EIR details. Got everything connected in about 20 mins.. I had tried turning off 5ghz and that didn't work either. Also tried pairing it really close, really far away, resetting the devices everything. That was about as far as my expertise would allow me to.

Obviously there is some "block" on Eir routers to stop people connecting too many devices? So much for trying to get folk to use smart devices.

The router I'm using now is a fritzbox 4040 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Most consumers routers only handle a limited number of wireless devices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

The router I'm using now is what I had to purchase from my old ISP. They were a wireless broadband company

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

As mentioned it could be too many things connected to the modem. Eir do not allow too many connections and smart devices quickly add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brian OFarrell

Hi, I had to use "Smart Life XXXX" hotspot to configure Sonoff devices with the Ewelink app. All good until the 21st device, seems like the capacity of the Eir router is merely "20" devices. I just then connected an "Apple Airport Extreme Base" router , to the Eir router, and a myriad of extra devices have been added , instantly, with their own apps (chome, Tuya, Google Home, etc.) , with ease. Just ensure your phone is on this "Apple" wifi when installing further devices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement