Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painful saddle?

Options
  • 30-03-2021 9:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭

If you have a saddle that is appropriate for your morphology could you get away without padded shorts?

Did a long one today and felt like I spent the night in a prison cell with Mandingo afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I have done several adventure races and never wore padded shorts for the bike sections. 50 or 60k.

I've a specialized romin.

There are a few things about saddle set up.
    Sorness can be down to far more than saddle.
    Saddle too high or low.
    Reaching too far.
    Be the biggest issues.

Also you must work up to general fitness.
    Simple idea would be to increase you load by no more than 10% a week.
    The soreness could be muscular

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

I have done several adventure races and never wore padded shorts for the bike sections. 50 or 60k.

I've a specialized romin.

There are a few things about saddle set up.
    Sorness can be down to far more than saddle.
    Saddle too high or low.
    Reaching too far.
    Be the biggest issues.

Also you must work up to general fitness.
    Simple idea would be to increase you load by no more than 10% a week.
    The soreness could be muscular

It's not even it's the area between my scrotum and anus that always seems to bare the brunt of it. You're right though feel like I may be reaching a bit, I'll try bring the saddle forward a touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    It's not even it's the area between my scrotum and anus that always seems to bare the brunt of it. You're right though feel like I may be reaching a bit, I'll try bring the saddle forward a touch.

This is the romin......
    Got a gap there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For someone who has been apparently cycling so long, I thought you'd have this one worked out by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Be sure that your are sitting on your sit bones rather than your perineum.

A saddle that is too narrow will result in too much pressure on your perineum and can often be quite painful. A saddle that's too wide may result in excessive chaffing and additional discomfort from sitting too far forward placing additional weight on your perineum.

If the bike is too big you may be sitting too far forward in order to reach the bars.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    For someone who has been apparently cycling so long, I thought you'd have this one worked out by now?

Got a new bike recently. Do you have a go at everyone asking for help in the forum's?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Be sure that your are sitting on your sit bones rather than your perineum.

A saddle that is too narrow will result in too much pressure on your perineum and can often be quite painful. A saddle that's too wide may result in excessive chaffing and additional discomfort from sitting too far forward placing additional weight on your perineum.

If the bike is too big you may be sitting too far forward in order to reach the bars.

Think the saddle is too far back and I'm sitting too far forward on the saddle will adjust and see how it goes thanks.

Advertisement