Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flossing

• 30-03-2021 8:31pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭

No not the dance. I have 2 left feet,

I don't like it, but I have to get used to doing it. The dental floss, and the little bow and pick. Neither I'm mad on.

Was looking at Sonic Air Floss contraption and a water one. Has anyone got experience with either?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

beertons wrote: »
    No not the dance. I have 2 left feet,

I don't like it, but I have to get used to doing it. The dental floss, and the little bow and pick. Neither I'm mad on.

Was looking at Sonic Air Floss contraption and a water one. Has anyone got experience with either?

Water pik is great, for me it's better than flossing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is nothing as good as floss. Well, especially if you're new to flossing and your gums are in poor health.

The reason is because floss when held taut scraps the plaque off the tooth (like a sharp blade I like to think of it) and water or air flossers can't do that.

When flossing it is imperative that you get the floss as low as you can and in one swift movement scrap the side of the tooth with the taut floss upwards or downwards as if you were sharpening a pencil with a knife, once. That's all you have to do. You can see how sawing it back and forth horizontally won't have the same effect thus that's why you hear that method is the wrong way to do it. Plus doing it the way I advise is quicker.

The point to flossing is to take the sticky beige coloured plaque off your teeth and if your're doing it right you can see the plaque on the floss. That's what causes gums to get inflamed and they will heal quite quickly once the plaque is removed.

If one's gums are in good health you might get away with using the electrical flossers but if they are not they won't fix the problem, just help some, but not good enough. Believe me I tried to find an easier way to floss using water flossers but they didn't work and when I figured out how to floss properly with actual floss that solved my gum issues.

Oh, and you shouldn't use those picks for daily flossing, they can very easily hurt your gums as they are very stiff and you should use a fresh piece of floss for every tooth anyway which is easy to do with a roll of floss.

Advertisement