Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much ?

Options
  • 30-03-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭

Want to get myself a good road bike to do 60 - 80 k cycles once or twice a week
    Now iv never been into cycling before so I'm a bit clueless ,

What price range would you be paying for a good bike for that kind of things ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I reckon theres probably 2 types of bikes, not carbon and brakes and gears that are cheaper than Shimano 105 and then theres full carbon with Shimano 105 groupset or better. The first category bike is a basic run of the mill which youd be happy locking up outside work or outside in your back garden grand bike but nothing special but will of course be able to do 60k cycles and then the second type would be around €2000 which is gonna be SIGNIFICANTLY better; more comfortable vibrations wise, smooth gears, look great and will be a proper bike that you may never need to upgrade which you wouldnt want to leave anywhere.

if you want to keep costs down try the online route like Vitus, Canyon or Decathlon, all do great bikes that are cheaper but not available in local bike stores.

If I could do it again id definitely check out gravel bikes, a subset between road bike and forestry road racing bike. all round awesomeness.

hope that helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your problem at the moment is buying new, there's a general shortage of bikes. for that sort of use, i certainly wouldn't blow your budget.
    if you can avail of the bike to work scheme, the ceiling of €1250 is more than adequate for your needs.

where are you based? there may be some decent bike shops near you where you could eyeball some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

your problem at the moment is buying new, there's a general shortage of bikes. for that sort of use, i certainly wouldn't blow your budget.
    if you can avail of the bike to work scheme, the ceiling of €1250 is more than adequate for your needs.

where are you based? there may be some decent bike shops near you where you could eyeball some options.

I actually tired the local bike shop last summer & it was all sold out and I put it off for the year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think supply is a problem still people waiting a few months for new bikes seems to be the norm .How likely do you think you will stick to cycling sometimes better to start off with a mid range bike that will do the job you want and can be used for different things .A real good bike is great to have but it's not for leaving anywhere and will require care and attention not to mention money .Good bikes new start near enough to 2 k I would say but plenty of bikes less than that will do the job . Your bike shop is still the best option to ask in .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Good bikes new start near enough to 2 k I would say
    that's quite a statement! plenty of tiagra spec bikes would fit into the BTW bracket with room to spare and are perfectly good.

unfortunately the first example i found on the cycle superstore site, a cube attain for €1.1k, is sold out in all but XXL. and that's the issue, the bikes in that price bracket are the ones in highest demand.

@OP, it might be worth looking at the secondhand market. this supply issue is not going to disappear overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I have a cube attain bought for 1200 a couple of years ago good bike use it lots also bought the agree for 3 plus much better bike as I would expect .The attain is really entry level to the good bikes so that's why I think the good bikes are certainly over 1 500 from what I can see on the road .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Second hand is definitely the way I'd go. You can get a better bike for less cash in a lot of cases, and there's plenty about on donedeal etc.
    Many people bought BTW bikes, used them a few times then left them in the shed after the novelty wore off. A bike costing 1k a year or so ago can be got for less than half that and will be more then adequate as a starter bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a cube attain bought for 1200 a couple of years ago good bike use it lots also bought the agree for 3 plus much better bike as I would expect .The attain is really entry level to the good bikes so that's why I think the good bikes are certainly over 1 500 from what I can see on the road .

Cube Attain is a great bike for someone like the OP I'd say.

If I was in his or her position, I would say: question do you really need disc brakes? If you want to do 60-80k spins in good weather mainly, you don't. This will get you a lighter, cheaper bike and with less supply challenges at the moment. Get 11 speed - Shimano 105 or similar. Tiagra is great but 105 gives more upgrade possibilities. Keep a bit of money for gear and upgrades. Less necessary at this time of year but winter gear will cost a bit. And an upgrade like a new wheelset can be well worth it down the line

Advertisement