Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading brakes on an old Raleigh

Options
  • 29-03-2021 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Ello ello. I bought a lovely old Raleigh yesterday. A quick Google points towards Raleigh Sports or Raleigh Superbe. That sort of bike anyways.

The brakes are rubbish, my expectations were and still are low but I would like to be able to stop with some effectiveness.

I want to keep the bike looking of that era and would like to find a better grade caliper brake. I obviously don't expect to stop on a sixpence.

Any recommendations? And what might I expect to pay?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You may find some old, period correct Shimano Dura-Ace or 600 parts on ebay, etc.
    That with new cables and new pads should make a world of difference.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shimano-Dura-Ace-7200-EX-Brake-Calipers-L-Eroica-/233901979828

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

CianRyan wrote: »
    You may find some old, period correct Shimano Dura-Ace or 600 parts on ebay, etc.
    That with new cables and new pads should make a world of difference.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shimano-Dura-Ace-7200-EX-Brake-Calipers-L-Eroica-/233901979828

Ah perfect, thanks Cian!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

ogriofa wrote: »
    Ello ello. I bought a lovely old Raleigh yesterday. A quick Google points towards Raleigh Sports or Raleigh Superbe. That sort of bike anyways.

The brakes are rubbish, my expectations were and still are low but I would like to be able to stop with some effectiveness.

I want to keep the bike looking of that era and would like to find a better grade caliper brake. I obviously don't expect to stop on a sixpence.

Any recommendations? And what might I expect to pay?

Thanks

Any pictures of it and the brakes? Must be something a miss as the rod brakes setup on them Raleigh bikes were excellent.

Mr321 wrote: »
    Any pictures of it and the brakes? Must be something a miss as the rod brakes setup on them Raleigh bikes were excellent.

Thanks. They look like they are set up correctly but here you go...

The pitting has probably got something to do with it! The flash has just highlighted that. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

No the pitting wouldn't be the main problem you need to check the travel distance between the pad and wheel. The pads maybe gone to hard and might need replacing just. There's an adjustment nut in the centre of the front bar where the cable comes down

Mr321 wrote: »
    No the pitting wouldn't be the main problem you need to check the travel distance between the pad and wheel. The pads maybe gone to hard and might need replacing just. There's an adjustment nut in the centre of the front bar where the cable comes down

Ah cheers. I'll go off and look up what good adjustment looks like, starting with the travel. Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Looking at that pic, the return spring is not working, probably because it's bent, but it can be bent back.

These are long-reach brakes (big distance from the pivot/mounting point to the brake track on the wheel), so they will never feel very powerful. Additionally, they're single-pivot brakes (older design, less powerful), but dual-pivot brakes (more powerful) aren't available in this long-reach size.

The best you can do it fix the spring to prevent rubbing, and lubricate the pivot and cable with a few drops of oil. Those are fairly soft (grippy) brake pads by design, but if they are old, and especially if they have been outdoors a lot (UV = hardened rubber), new ones will improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/tektro-r559-road-brakeset/rp-prod72658

These Tektro brakes might fit the bill.
    Dual pivot and long reach.

I'll try Mr321 and Type 17s suggestions to see what adjustments can achieve and if they don't get the braking to decent I'll try Eamonators suggestion. Thanks everybody!

• Advertisement
Advertisement