Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Converting Pastural Land to a Wood

• 29-03-2021 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Something that I would like to do in the future is buy some agricultural land and plant it with native trees and flowers. I don't have any interest in building any property or harvesting the wood for lumber and would be quite happy to allow the land to take its own natural course.
    1. Are there any legal issues with converting pastural land to wooded land?
    2. Are there any EU grants for doing this kind of conversion?
    3. Would there be a real risk of someone else cutting the trees illegally for lumber if they observed that the land was being "neglected"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hi,

Something that I would like to do in the future is buy some agricultural land and plant it with native trees and flowers. I don't have any interest in building any property or harvesting the wood for lumber and would be quite happy to allow the land to take its own natural course.
    3. Would there be a real risk of someone else cutting the trees illegally for lumber if they observed that the land was being "neglected"?

1) No
    2) Native woodland grant scheme lasts for 15-20years(AFAIK)
    3)Haven't heard of that being a big issue elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Lots of posts like this on social media at the minute you can of course do what you like with the land.
    Please remember it still has to be managed though.
    Will you allow access?
    What if someone has an accident?
    How will you deal with invasive species?
    What will you do if for instance it was corncrake habitat or yellowhammer are present do you still plant?
    Trees are not always the answer but good luck with the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Lots of posts like this on social media at the minute you can of course do what you like with the land.

Do you not have to get an afforestation licence for anything over a quarter of an acre? Something like that?

How long does that take, and how common would it be that they might be refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Do you not have to get an afforestation licence for anything over a quarter of an acre? Something like that?

How long does that take, and how common would it be that they might be refused?

I think thats only a declaration in local paper and sign up like PP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I think thats only a declaration in local paper and sign up like PP

That as it may be, but the fact that you have to get it must mean that there is hypothetically the scenario where it might not be granted? That is what I would assume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Hi,

Sounds like a good project so best of luck!

Get some advice on fencing if for instance you want to exclude deer who might damage your young trees or flowers but still allow smaller animals to access in and out of your land.

Another poster mentioned accidents so investigate and obtain suitable insurance cover such as public liability to cover anyone you may have working on the land plus any trespassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

That as it may be, but the fact that you have to get it must mean that there is hypothetically the scenario where it might not be granted? That is what I would assume

Having a look at the map, here's an example of a refusal: CN82398. Is there any way we can see the reasons for the refusal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi,

Can happen with high quality ash timber

• Registered Users Posts: 18 greencatkin

Hello

Did you do it? How did it work out?

Advertisement