Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered free knives in car park

Options
  • 29-03-2021 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

Met a lad in Tesco Rathfarnham car park today who offered me a "free" set of kitchen knives. Said he was just finishing up a promotion and had a couple of sets left over. Said he'd be happy with just the price of a pint for them.
    Explained I didn't carry cash and he suggested going to an ATM but I declined.
    Anyone come across this before?, wheres the scam here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Stolen from the store would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Show you real knives. But switch to an empty or weighted box put into a bag for you after you've paid.

Cut price bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Show you real knives. But switch to an empty or weighted box put into a bag for you after you've paid.

Cut price bargains.

Don't think it was that as he had just 2 sets in a bag, could see both had knives in them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sounds like this old scam
    THERE was another victim to the laptop scam this week as a man handed over €450 at a Dundalk car park and received a bogus laptop bag.

He was approached in the car park of Dundalk Retail Park by a man offering a laptop, camera and an iphone for €450.

He handed over the cash, but after receiving the bag noticed it contained only two store catalogues.

Anyone with any information about this scam is asked to contact Dundalk gardai on 042 93 35577 or the garda confidential number 1800 666 111.
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/laptop-scam-26948264.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I can understand the scam for €450 but this guy was looking for the price of a pint... ie €5. If you had a fiver you would've got the knives.

This should be in bargain alerts. Great find OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Never hurts to have another set of fingerprints on your knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

This happened in Cork a few yrs ago too. Reach for your wallet and it's gone - open your car and they'll empty it.

Happened to a few older people too ...Grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm not sure it's a scam, probably more predatory selling or selling stolen goods.

My dad was approached and got a set for €10, which is probably their worth. From what my dad said he was approached with the same story as above, the guy "gives" him one set, then starts asking does he have any other family/friends that would like some, and asked what my dad would pay for another two sets, according to my dad the guy waved a load of notes in his hand and said someone else "gave all this" for two sets. When the guy figured he wasn't going to get any more money from my dad he left with the €10 and my dad had the knives.

My dad kept telling me he got a great deal, throughout telling me the store, as the box says they are worth €200, which they clearly aren't.

When my dad was telling me this story I assumed the knives were stolen, but it's also possible they are being bought cheaply from China to sell in carparks for large markups.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Met a lad in Tesco Rathfarnham car park today who offered me a "free" set of kitchen knives. Said he was just finishing up a promotion and had a couple of sets left over. Said he'd be happy with just the price of a pint for them.
    Explained I didn't carry cash and he suggested going to an ATM but I declined.
    Anyone come across this before?, wheres the scam here?

I have had this exact approach on at least two occasions before, again in different Tesco car parks and same story about a promotion.
    On the first occasion I did happen to have a fiver and gave it to him but, on the second just kept walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

What Ninja said above. The aul fella bought two sets in the car park (one free, one for a tenner).

He gave us a set, really chuffed with himself. They are cheap rubbish. They don't hold an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's the Armani jacket scam, just repeating itself many years later under different guise....

Had a guy approach me at ATM beside Ulster Bank near Dublin Airport trying it before...

I'm not sure it's a scam, probably more predatory selling or selling stolen goods.

My dad was approached and got a set for €10, which is probably their worth. From what my dad said he was approached with the same story as above, the guy "gives" him one set, then starts asking does he have any other family/friends that would like some, and asked what my dad would pay for another two sets, according to my dad the guy waved a load of notes in his hand and said someone else "gave all this" for two sets. When the guy figured he wasn't going to get any more money from my dad he left with the €10 and my dad had the knives.

My dad kept telling me he got a great deal, throughout telling me the store, as the box says they are worth €200, which they clearly aren't.

When my dad was telling me this story I assumed the knives were stolen, but it's also possible they are being bought cheaply from China to sell in carparks for large markups.

Yes, thats the same with this guy, had a big roll of notes.

No income tax, no VAT, no money back, no guarantee...

They are as said above probably cheap junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

no scam..just travellers selling knife sets. happens all the time around dublin. cheap crap.

Actually this sounds like the same guy who mentioned to me a Jamie Oliver promotion in Tesco (there wasn't one)

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/south-dublin-car-park-robbery-19334443

They said: "I had a disconcerting experience last Thursday week in the SuperValu car park in Knocklyon. Just as I parked the car a young man 19-24 very clean cut and well spoken opened the passenger door . “Hi I was just looking for you“ giving me the impression he knew me.

"He then placed a box containing a selection of kitchen knives on the passenger seat and said they were available at the Jamie Oliver stand in the store. Completely taken I started to ask about the offer. With that he grabbed the box and quickly went away.

"My handbag was not on the passenger seat but on the floor which he could not easily reach!! I only became suspicious when I discovered there was no Jamie Oliver stand in Supervalu. I alerted the security and was told that a similar scam had been in operation in Ballinteer earlier in the week.

"Be aware always and report anything suspicious to the Gardai."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Nozebleed wrote: »
    no scam..just travellers selling knife sets. happens all the time around dublin. cheap crap.

Hit the nail on the head. Buy cheap, buy twice..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even if he is offering actual sets of knives, they are likely moody, probably dangerous and definitely crap.

For certain he's casually trading illegally. Report it to the shopping centre management with a description and let them do what they like about people selling illegally on their premises.

Something really gets my goat about people preying on old and vulnerable people in carparks for their money or belongings. About 10 years ago I watched a couple of scummers try to distract an old dear at an ATM, asking her some nonsense after she hadput her PIN in. I saw scummer No 2 taking a wad of notes out from under a map scummer No1 was using to distract the woman, so I came in at an angle behind them and hopped scummer No 2s head off the brickwork beside the cash machine and gave the woman her cash back while No 1 legged it. I hope he still has the headache the shytbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Fieldog wrote: »
    It's the Armani jacket scam, just repeating itself many years later under different guise....

Had a guy approach me at ATM beside Ulster Bank near Dublin Airport trying it before...

Your mention of an Armani reminds me of a similar offer I had a few years ago.
    I was approached in a suburban shopping center car park and and offered said jacket which I ignored and went into center.
    Came out about an hour later and proceeded into city.
    Parking my car in street parking . The SAME agent approached me with same coat.
    Cannot repeat here what I said to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

What ever happened to the "would you ever f**k off" answer to these scammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Gave a well-dressed foxy traveller lad (mid-20s) €20 for 2 sets of these knives about a year ago in Pearse Square, Ballyphehane, Cork. No scam involved. Obviously cheap Chinese stuff but well worth €10 per set imo. Very sharp and still working perfect today.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Fieldog wrote: »

Whats the armani jacket scam. Remember when i was parked over 10yrs in Fitzwilliam Sq a lad had left over stock from a show. All designer stuff. Felt like a scam and was broke so not possible. Can you elaborate what he would have done? Always regretted that i didnt have a 100 euro to spare to get one of the jackets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just cheap knives, we get them knocking on doors selling them around here. She's always buying them for her mum. They are crap ceramic knives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Ha ha have 2 sets of knives made by a swiss company thinking white box red labelling and am using the cheese knife for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,339 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whats the armani jacket scam. Remember when i was parked over 10yrs in Fitzwilliam Sq a lad had left over stock from a show. All designer stuff. Felt like a scam and was broke so not possible. Can you elaborate what he would have done? Always regretted that i didnt have a 100 euro to spare to get one of the jackets

Armini scam works by them usually saying they were at a trade show or travelling around stores showing samples and they have some left they don't want to bring back with them to Italy (they are usually Romanians and wouldn't have a word of Italian if challenged). The scam works by them either showing you one perfect jacket and then switching it with a cheap PVC version worth next to nothing when money is exchanged or the original jacket they show you is nothing but PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's just a way to start a conversation to see if people are vulnerable, whether in a carpark, car, or their house, if people didn't engage with these shi##hawks, they wouldn't be around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I went to cut a turnip once with a knife like them.handle broke and near took the hand off me.they are sh1te.
    Keep your tenner and walk on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Nozebleed wrote: »

And in the country side.
    I was on my own little side road a few years ago and an oncoming van slowed down and motioned me to open the window.
    Two 'howya boss' males flashed a box of knives at me and asked if I wanted to buy.
    No thanks says I and drove off.

To thine own self be true

It's travellers, and they somehow have an enormous amount of these knives. They were selling them door-to-door in my estate a couple of years ago, and then i seen them twice in two separate car parks.

They're €20 each, unless you don't want them, then they're €10, 2 for €15, etc. My dad bought a set. Kills me to say it, but I actually like them, and if I was approached with them I would buy a set. They're quite good for what they are.

These are the ones they've been selling:

YzFmNTJlYTU1MjFhYjExN2U5MDMyNzgyZmQ1NjNhYTaJDG20vrBi0Ak9KTFOdR9NaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNDRjNTZjZDE4ODE2ODJjOWRjYzNmOTAyMGZkYzBkMzEzOWNjZjQ1MGJkNzUxMDM5ZGI4NjgxZjM2NGJlMDU3Ny5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

It's travellers, and they somehow have an enormous amount of these knives. They were selling them door-to-door in my estate a couple of years ago, and then i seen them twice in two separate car parks.

They're €20 each, unless you don't want them, then they're €10, 2 for €15, etc. My dad bought a set. Kills me to say it, but I actually like them, and if I was approached with them I would buy a set. They're quite good for what they are.

These are the ones they've been selling:

YzFmNTJlYTU1MjFhYjExN2U5MDMyNzgyZmQ1NjNhYTaJDG20vrBi0Ak9KTFOdR9NaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNDRjNTZjZDE4ODE2ODJjOWRjYzNmOTAyMGZkYzBkMzEzOWNjZjQ1MGJkNzUxMDM5ZGI4NjgxZjM2NGJlMDU3Ny5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Just like my set!

Advertisement