Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Previous Searches

Options
  • 29-03-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Not sure which section to put this in so please move if necessary

Up until this week google used to prompt me with previous searches I've done whenever I got to search for something

Say when I type "Weath" in the google search bar
    A dropdown would appear and the first few prompts would be previous searches I've done beginning with Weath, so I'd get
    Weather Dublin (it would be in purple and a little clock beside it, meaning I've clicked this before)
    Weather London (it would be in purple and a little clock beside it, meaning I've clicked this before)
    Weather <wherever> (it would be in black and a little arrow beside it, meaning I've never clicked it before)

This does not happen anymore. It's like every search I do, is the first search I've done on a new phone or browser. It holds no memory of anything I've done before.

I've investigated this, all the boxes in settings that should be ticked, are ticked.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Did you clear your caches recently? Or start using incognito mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I cleared caches in an attempt to fix the issue.
    I have tried many times since so the previous searches should remain.

No, not in incognito mode

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What device are you using?
    Phone, laptop?

It's the same for my work laptop using Chrome and for my phone, Samsung S10+ and chrome.

I've just discovered if I type directly into address bar, the previous searches show but not for the google search bar

Google search bar - no previous searches
    548579.jpg

Address bar - previous searches
    548578.jpg

This is fine for being on the laptop but not on the phone, I'd use the previous searches quite a bit. Not sure what I've done to disable it

Is that Chrome on your laptop?
    Is your laptop Apple?

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the issue is with using search on the Google website in the browser? On both laptop and phone?

Are you signed in to your Google account on the browser?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is that Chrome on your laptop?
    Is your laptop Apple?

Yes Chrome on laptop, it's a Lenovo X13 Windows 10
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are you saying that the issue is with using search on the Google website in the browser? On both laptop and phone?

Are you signed in to your Google account on the browser?

I'm signed into my google account on both.

The issue is on both the laptop and phone browsers and seems just to be for the google search bar, a workaround I've just discovered is typing directly into the address bar. I'll just need to get used to doing that

This seems to be back working as normal today.
    I didn't do anything
    Who knows.

Thanks.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    This seems to be back working as normal today.
    I didn't do anything
    Who knows.

Thanks.

Very strange.
    I couldn't figure out a solution!

Glad it's working again.

Advertisement