Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow friend advice

Options
  • 29-03-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

In preparation for lockdown restrictions to be lifted id like some advice!

Im sure you have that friend who comes on your small friend group ride who always seems to lag behind. (last year when we were allowed to group ride and go outside 5k) But the worst part of it we know our mate is just not putting any effort into it. Even on the gentle flat ground portion of the beginning of the ride when he's still way way back, probably going 15kph in full kitted out lycra. I enjoy cycling together and really get a kick out of being in a group going at a decent pace and sure a lot of you do too while imagining cars driving by thinking wow theyre going pretty quick, good on em im not going to drive them into a ditch.

How do you get someone to actually push on the pedals not just allow their legs to turn over passively and put a bit more effort into it to be on a group ride. Its not fun going slow and having someone in a city bike with a basket and backpack on go past you when youre all on your carbon roadies!

(this is for times when there are no restrictions i am not going out at the moment group riding more than 5km)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

Do you ever think that maybe your 'friend' is actually trying to stay away from you?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW: No car ever thinks a group of cyclists are flying along, so no need to over take them. You're not in the Pro Peleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭De Bhál

If, as you say he's just not bothering then just push on and drop him , then after 5mins of him well off the back you as a group pull in completely and wait for him, do this a few times and his his pride should kick in and push himself harder.

On the other hand he may just not be able for the pace of the group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I think what Captain Slow may need is new friends tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

Any time I'm cycling with another person/other people who are "slower", I'll cycle at their pace.

Having been the person getting dropped, there's nothing more dispiriting on a cycle than constantly trying to cycle at a pace that's beyond you. It's thoroughly unenjoyable.

I have a friend who is just faster than me on a bike, and even though I enjoy his company, I don't particularly enjoy cycling with him, because he pushes out the pace that he wants/is able for, regardless of the pace I can manage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

To be honest your attitude comes across terribly in that post and trust me nobody thinks roadies are cool.

Perhaps your mate is trying and you should encourage him instead of belittling him. A group ride unless there's an agreed predetermined pace should be held at the output of the weakest rider, it seems like you want everyone to go at your pace. If these are regular spins why not set up two groups faster/slower but there's a good chance you may find yourself alone in your group if you're talking about another rider as you are here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    To be honest your attitude comes across terribly in that post and trust me nobody thinks roadies are cool.

Perhaps your mate is trying and you should encourage him instead of belittling him. A group ride unless there's an agreed predetermined pace should be held at the output of the weakest rider, it seems like you want everyone to go at your pace. If these are regular spins why not set up two groups faster/slower but there's a good chance you may find yourself alone in your group if you're talking about another rider as you are here.

Well thats what im asking here for is advice how to encourage. Im not saying I want to go at a mad pace, not to go at leisurely cycle to the shops pace when out for a road bike ride isnt too crazy an attitude is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

EPO?

Spanish steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Well thats what im asking here for is advice how to encourage. Im not saying I want to go at a mad pace, not to go at leisurely cycle to the shops pace when out for a road bike ride isnt too crazy an attitude is it?

Why dont you get him out a few mid week evenings over the Summer and try and improve his fitness. A couple of evenings a week for 2 months will make a huge difference to fitness.

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

In preparation for lockdown restrictions to be lifted id like some advice!

Im sure you have that friend who comes on your small friend group ride who always seems to lag behind. (last year when we were allowed to group ride and go outside 5k) But the worst part of it we know our mate is just not putting any effort into it. Even on the gentle flat ground portion of the beginning of the ride when he's still way way back, probably going 15kph in full kitted out lycra. I enjoy cycling together and really get a kick out of being in a group going at a decent pace and sure a lot of you do too while imagining cars driving by thinking wow theyre going pretty quick, good on em im not going to drive them into a ditch.

How do you get someone to actually push on the pedals not just allow their legs to turn over passively and put a bit more effort into it to be on a group ride. Its not fun going slow and having someone in a city bike with a basket and backpack on go past you when youre all on your carbon roadies!

(this is for times when there are no restrictions i am not going out at the moment group riding more than 5km)

That's hilarious. I'd tell your mate to start putting in some effort or else he can find another group to go cycling with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You say you know your mate isn't putting effort in...that suggests he's not interested. As such I'd leave him behind and not invite him again. You can lead a horse to water and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

The vibe from the forum today is that you should get him an e-bike.

buffalo wrote: »
    The vibe from the forum today is that you should get him an e-bike.

Sure have him tag along in the car. Maybe have someone drive him so he can put his feet up and have a drink while he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

. I enjoy cycling together and really get a kick out of being in a group going at a decent pace and sure a lot of you do too while imagining cars driving by thinking wow theyre going pretty quick, good on em im not going to drive them into a ditch.

You must be deluded if you think anybody in a car or otherwise think "wow, look at those speedsters, hope theres another larger group around the next bend on this narrow country road" when they see a group of cyclists going at a decent pace.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You must be deluded if you think anybody in a car or otherwise think "wow, look at those speedsters, hope theres another larger group around the next bend on this narrow country road" when they see a group of cyclists going at a decent pace.

To be fair i've had several encounters with motorists over the years who were impressed by the speed i was cycling and wanted to ask questions when we both stopped at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

A group i was in when i got back into cycling ovef 10 yrs ago had 2 people like that. They were just happy to doddle along, never improving , most of the group were happy to wait for them. I eventually went solo and then joined other groups as i improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How did your friend come to be part of the group? Was he invited along? If so, you'd have to cut him some slack.

You may be better joining a club as groups will be differentiated according to average speed.

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    That's hilarious. I'd tell your mate to start putting in some effort or else he can find another group to go cycling with.

I would expect no less based on the content of some of your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

How did your friend come to be part of the group? Was he invited along? If so, you'd have to cut him some slack.

You may be better joining a club as groups will be differentiated according to average speed.

This is the answer. While I’m in a club, we have formed a hardcore group of about 10 -12 lads who enjoy fast riding and constantly pushing ourselves. If we want a slow day, we can go solo or go with one of the other groups.

I got fed up of certain lads constantly expressing amazement at my speed or whatever whilst never pushing themselves. The hills hurt me too!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

If your friend keeps getting dropped he will eventually get so demoralized that he more than likely will give up cycling. Pick a couple of easy routes that he can stay with ye and take a turn at the front. A route with no hills .A route so that he can get in his hour or so. This will boost his confidence. The rest of the group can go off after do another route or whats suits the ability of everyone else. This way nobody gets dropped and he will improve and you will feel better too.

codie wrote: »
    If your friend keeps getting dropped he will eventually get so demoralized that he more than likely will give up cycling. Pick a couple of easy routes that he can stay with ye and take a turn at the front. A route with no hills .A route so that he can get in his hour or so. This will boost his confidence. The rest of the group can go off after do another route or whats suits the ability of everyone else. This way nobody gets dropped and he will improve and you will feel better too.

Can’t disagree with any of this. I think the issue is where someone doesn’t really “work” to improve. It’s not a crime of course but for the stronger friend it leaves him in a bit of a bind. I used cycle with several lads who as soon as we hit any sort of a hill would go into shutdown mode. You have to put in an effort sometimes.
    Hopefully the weaker friend will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Jerrykay6 wrote: »
    To be fair i've had several encounters with motorists over the years who were impressed by the speed i was cycling and wanted to ask questions when we both stopped at the lights.

What did you tell them? I'd like to cycle faster.

What did you tell them? I'd like to cycle faster.

They were obviously also cyclists. Just asking what kind of training I do and how long am I at it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

codie wrote: »
    If your friend keeps getting dropped....
    In fairness, there's a difference between getting dropped and sauntering along making so effort. I've occasionally got dropped despite turning myself inside out to keep up. Anyone can have a bad day but the OP's friend doesn't seem to fit into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I've got the opposite problem in a small group I cycle with. There's one guy who's very strong and expects everybody to go at his pace. He doesn't really have group ride experience and he doesn't really think of the weaker guys.

I've joined a club because I was getting too p!ssed off at him driving the group on, even do I was plenty strong for it, I was thinking of keeping the group together instead of having every man for himself. He's now is on about joining the club, I don't think they'll put up with his behaviour and maybe he might learn what group riding is all about. The thing is, I really like cycling with the group, it's just that it's all over the road with every man for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Seems like a lot of problems could be solved by people talking to their mates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I've got the opposite problem in a small group I cycle with. There's one guy who's very strong and expects everybody to go at his pace. He doesn't really have group ride experience and he doesn't really think of the weaker guys.

I've joined a club because I was getting too p!ssed off at him driving the group on, even do I was plenty strong for it, I was thinking of keeping the group together instead of having every man for himself. He's now is on about joining the club, I don't think they'll put up with his behaviour and maybe he might learn what group riding is all about. The thing is, I really like cycling with the group, it's just that it's all over the road with every man for himself.

A lot of the clubs here seem to be more focused on leisurely rides for all abilities. Very different from the more serious groups in the UK and France which I would have been a member of when I lived abroad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Can’t disagree with any of this. I think the issue is where someone doesn’t really “work” to improve. It’s not a crime of course but for the stronger friend it leaves him in a bit of a bind. I used cycle with several lads who as soon as we hit any sort of a hill would go into shutdown mode. You have to put in an effort sometimes.
    Hopefully the weaker friend will improve.

Depends to an extent why you're all out cycling together. Could just be for a bit a outdoor social exercise rather than with any particular goal in mind. If your working to improve as a group, you really need to agree that as a group, same if your just out for a relaxed spin. Sound more like a bit of miscommunication with the OPs group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a bit harsh Iwon'thtfu :). Group riding can a politico-social nightmare. Time is precious, bikes are expensive, training is important, Saturday morning lie-ins are sacrificed and domestic situations need to be gotten back to. It's equally unfair to call out everyone else for expressing frustration at being delayed by the "FLATB". It's the easiest thing in the world to blurt out to a mate "yeah sure you must come out for a spin with us sometime", but much harder to break it to a lad that's been with the group for a while that he's not welcome any more cos he's so far off the pace. :(

It's harsh, but it's the nature of the activity, its not like the prescribed area of a 5 aside pitch where you can run and sprint all day or goal hang abs still participate and contribute.

I've no solution for the OP though I'm afraid. If the guy doesn't recognise it himself and is happy out, I don't know what you can do. What usually happens is the other riders start to drift away to greener pastures and alternative WhatsApp training groups :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh Iwon'thtfu :). Group riding can a politico-social nightmare. Time is precious, bikes are expensive, training is important, Saturday morning lie-ins are sacrificed and domestic situations need to be gotten back to. It's equally unfair to call out everyone else for expressing frustration at being delayed by the "FLATB". It's the easiest thing in the world to blurt out to a mate "yeah sure you must come out for a spin with us sometime", but much harder to break it to a lad that's been with the group for a while that he's not welcome any more cos he's so far off the pace. :(

It's harsh, but it's the nature of the activity, its not like the prescribed area of a 5 aside pitch where you can run and sprint all day or goal hang abs still participate and contribute.

I've no solution for the OP though I'm afraid. If the guy doesn't recognise it himself and is happy out, I don't know what you can do. What usually happens is the other riders start to drift away to greener pastures and alternative WhatsApp training groups :(

I don't think it is to be honest. OP likes to cycle in a group as long as they cycle to his standards.

I get what you're saying about working towards being better and I'd be the first to applaud honest effort but in this instance it sounds like OP has arranged a bunch to cycle as he likes to cycle in a bunch and then when one isn't pulling his weight, we'll ditch him as he's sub standard.

I've been down this road myself and always encouraged the slower end and if lads want to break away on their own well plough ahead. Usually the slower end becomes the not so slower end and then the next wave comes through.

It sounds like OP needs to set out a plan for these spins and if this rider he has an issue with decides it's not for him then problem solved. If the group dwindles as a result of said plan then he'll know he's picked the wrong riders for his group spins. Plenty of clubs out there with mixed abilities and hey all seem to manage.

• Advertisement

I don't think it is to be honest. OP likes to cycle in a group as long as they cycle to his standards.

I get what you're saying about working towards being better and I'd be the first to applaud honest effort but in this instance it sounds like OP has arranged a bunch to cycle as he likes to cycle in a bunch and then when one isn't pulling his weight, we'll ditch him as he's sub standard.

I've been down this road myself and always encouraged the slower end and if lads want to break away on their own well plough ahead. Usually the slower end becomes the not so slower end and then the next wave comes through.

It sounds like OP needs to set out a plan for these spins and if this rider he has an issue with decides it's not for him then problem solved. If the group dwindles as a result of said plan then he'll know he's picked the wrong riders for his group spins. Plenty of clubs out there with mixed abilities and hey all seem to manage.

It’s obvious we’ve all been there I think. Very hard to get a like-minded and equal ability group together. In our group, we know we’ll be pushing it generally but we wait up after descending climbs, junctions etc. No one gets left behind ever and lads ramble off to do their own thing on bad days.
    Very tricky area...

Advertisement