Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Gas Patio Heater

Options
  • 29-03-2021 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at purchasing an out door gas patio heater.

Has anyone any tips or advice?
    What should I look for or avoid?

I've been looking at amazon.de and it seems to be a lot cheaper than say one I saw on offer on pigsback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭HBC08

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking at purchasing an out door gas patio heater.

Has anyone any tips or advice?
    What should I look for or avoid?

I've been looking at amazon.de and it seems to be a lot cheaper than say one I saw on offer on pigsback.

Im.looking in to it too,dint know where to start,a lot of stuff online seems to be sold out.
    Os it easy to order from amazon.de? Is there anything extra to do or keep in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

HBC08 wrote: »
    Im.looking in to it too,dint know where to start,a lot of stuff online seems to be sold out.
    Os it easy to order from amazon.de? Is there anything extra to do or keep in mind?

I haven't ordered anything yet I'm afraid.
    Pigsback had an offer of 199, 20 delivery but no regulator.
    The regulator is about 30 in Woodies.

I've the exact same questions as yourself.

I was hoping someone would give their advice even on the spec of a heater.
    I think you need it quite tall, with a large span on the hat part.
    That's as far as I've gotten:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

Outdoor gas heaters are incredibly inefficient and uneconomical in terms of environment and costs to run.

You should be considering electric infrared heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I thought they were banned years ago?

I remember DIY stores were stuck with loads of them so they got around the ban by giving one away if you bought a garden furniture set.

Did I imagine this or can you still buy them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the ban has been talked about but never implemented. not in ireland anyway, i think france implemented it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

I was looking at them last year and it looked like they’d be using about half a gas bottle or more a night assuming you were out there for a few hours. I didn’t want the cost and the hassle of using that much gas. I never picked an alternative though

spose wrote: »
    I was looking at them last year and it looked like they’d be using about half a gas bottle or more a night assuming you were out there for a few hours. I didn’t want the cost and the hassle of using that much gas. I never picked an alternative though

I suppose I'd really only use it if I'd people over, the odd night for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

What about a portable fire-pit? Seems to be popular these days... gonna get one myself this year to try out ? €100 +/-

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

I suppose I'd really only use it if I'd people over, the odd night for us.

That’s true...at the time I was looking garden visits were allowed so if anyone called we were sitting outside and probably thought I’d be using it a lot.

Masala wrote: »
    What about a portable fire-pit? Seems to be popular these days... gonna get one myself this year to try out ? €100 +/-

I got a cast iron chiminea on eBay Germany delivered for €84 if it's any help to you.
    The eBay link isn't working anymore but it was this company https://relaxdays.de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

I got a cast iron chiminea on eBay Germany delivered for €84 if it's any help to you.
    The eBay link isn't working anymore but it was this company https://relaxdays.de

How did you find the chiminea in terms of heat distribution? I’ve heard there can be a lot of smoke with them, was that an issue for you? Thanks

How did you find the chiminea in terms of heat distribution? I’ve heard there can be a lot of smoke with them, was that an issue for you? Thanks

Yes there is some some smoke.
    But not enough that it's off-putting for me anyway.
    I've had small logs drying since last year so it should help with any smoke.

I don't see a difference between the chiminea and a charcoal bbq with smoke.
    In fact my next door neighbour lit his bbq one evening and I'd white sheets hanging out on the line. Needless to say I'd to rewash them.
    Anyway, since then my view is that if smoke is an issue for them tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Did anyone get the patio heater in the end. I looking at an holagen one like in the link.

https://irwinsmegastore.ie/products/nedis-patio-heater-200cm-pole-1500w-htpa15ebk

I have a pit fire but I get smoked out of it if there a bit of wind blowing. Want an electric one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

Did anyone get the patio heater in the end. I looking at an holagen one like in the link.

https://irwinsmegastore.ie/products/nedis-patio-heater-200cm-pole-1500w-htpa15ebk

I have a pit fire but I get smoked out of it if there a bit of wind blowing. Want an electric one as well.

I bought one recently its a table top heater and I tried it out only once seems fine not as hot as I hoped but I'd say it would be better again on a warmish summers evening. It was cold when I tried it and haven't really had an opportunity since. My only point of note is the one you linked is 1500w I would try go as high as I could in terms of Watts as I said I wasn't blown away by mine and its 2100w.

There is a thread on the DIY fourm bout about same...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Hi doop

I haven't bought anything yet, but I've changed my mind to a tabletop gas heater.
    The description says it's 3kW of heat but I see the full stand heaters are from 9kwh to 13.5 or 14kwh.
    The 3kw seems very low.

Have you any thoughts on this?

This is in the description:
    Heating mushrooms are great outdoor accessories to give your outdoor setup a unique decorative element. An external heating generates heat and a bit of glow and provides guests with a warm ambience even in the colder autumn and autumn months.

Whether it's a restaurant terrace, a pool area or a beautiful backyard, adding a patio heater will allow you to enjoy your outdoor area long after the summer is inserted.

Features:
    Good heat dissipation.
    - Variable heat settings
    - Guaranteed safety
    - Smaller size / fits on a table
    Low oxygen content.
    - Flame failure protection
    - Tilt safety shut-off
    Requires LPG gas bottle (not included).
    Ideal for indoor and outdoor use.

! ! ! NOTE: You should never leave a propane heating on when you go to sleep or fall asleep. If you notice that you feel sleepy while the heater is turned on, turn it off. You should also turn it off before you go anywhere and never leave the heater unattended.

Specification:

* Power: 3 kW

Installation height: 800 mm.

* Air consumption: approx. 0.3 kg / h

Weight: 9 kg.

It hard to know what size to get I have a patio which can be more then 4 square metres. Would a 2 kW heater be good enough.

Pros and cons for inferred or halogen or gas. I not 100% sure which to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

It hard to know what size to get I have a patio which can be more then 4 square metres. Would a 2 kW heater be good enough.

Pros and cons for inferred or halogen or gas. I not 100% sure which to go for.

Also looking at infrared heaters to mount on the wall, similar to what some of the pubs have outdoors.
    Anyone have any recommendations?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have a full sized gas patio heater, great for a summer evening to keep the chill out of the patio air but I previously had a table top gas heater which was a lot warmer as you were a lot closer to the heat

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I have a full sized gas patio heater, great for a summer evening to keep the chill out of the patio air but I previously had a table top gas heater which was a lot warmer as you were a lot closer to the heat

How long does a barrel of gas last?

How long does a barrel of gas last?

Lasts us ages, probably buy 2 a year at the maximum and that would be with plenty of use

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Lasts us ages, probably buy 2 a year at the maximum and that would be with plenty of use

What's size barrel, I get the patio gas barrel for the BBQ. 35 euros refill.

What's size barrel, I get the patio gas barrel for the BBQ. 35 euros refill.

Yep that’s the one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Also looking at infrared heaters to mount on the wall, similar to what some of the pubs have outdoors.
    Anyone have any recommendations?
    Cheers!

i installed one recently, picked up from a room outside, not sure how much help it wil be as i think it was their last one and it's not on their website any more having a quick look. it was one of these

https://www.tansun.com/gb_en/infrared-heaters/sorrento/sorrento-double.html

couple of things you need to consider, they are heavy loads, so you need to make sure your cabling is up to par, that one is 4kw total, each heater has it's own plug. i put in a dedicated line with heavy cable into its own MCB when i put down my patio, and the heater is the only thing running on it. You can get lower power ones, but whatever you get make sure the wiring is sufficient.

i will say the heat is great out of it. we have a roof over our patio but sat outside all friday night in the rain and were toasty and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

We bought this last summer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005BCQHX6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It’s out of stock now but does the job well. Should be alternatives around but post brexit shipping is awkward from uk for some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

mossym wrote: »
    i installed one recently, picked up from a room outside, not sure how much help it wil be as i think it was their last one and it's not on their website any more having a quick look. it was one of these

https://www.tansun.com/gb_en/infrared-heaters/sorrento/sorrento-double.html

couple of things you need to consider, they are heavy loads, so you need to make sure your cabling is up to par, that one is 4kw total, each heater has it's own plug. i put in a dedicated line with heavy cable into its own MCB when i put down my patio, and the heater is the only thing running on it. You can get lower power ones, but whatever you get make sure the wiring is sufficient.

i will say the heat is great out of it. we have a roof over our patio but sat outside all friday night in the rain and were toasty and dry.

Thanks, good idea to wire them independently, not sure how I will do that, probably have to run it under the plinth, but I’ll leave that to the electrician.

Advertisement