Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Ride Slow Poke

Options
  • 29-03-2021 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all, im sure you have that friend who comes on your small friend group ride who always seems to lag behind. But the worst part of it we know our mate is just not putting any effort into it. Even on the gentle flat ground portion of the beginning of the ride when he's still way way back, probably going 15kph in full kitted out lycra. I enjoy cycling together and really get a kick out of being in a group going at a decent pace and sure a lot of you do too while imagining cars driving by thinking wow theyre going pretty quick, good on em im not going to drive them into a ditch.:p

How do you get someone to actually push on the pedals not just allow their legs to turn over passively and put a bit more effort into it to be on a group ride. Its not fun going slow and having someone in a city bike with a basket and backpack on go past you when youre all on your carbon roadies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Drop them hard at the first opportunity?? :pac:

Less (untish answer? If you meet regularly, do targeted sessions? Make it a theme i.e. Tue night fast paced laps somewhere, sat morning pacey distance run but retain slower/longer sessions on Sunday.

Not everyone has to go to every ride, but you could do it under the guise of a shared fitness goal. Like a mini club.

Some people just like the social aspect of cycling.. and especially these days that's understandable.

Also - maybe the person has stuff going on and their mind is elsewhere? Or have they always been this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Shouldn’t be an issue at the moment anyway unless your small group is just you and him....

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Shouldn’t be an issue at the moment anyway unless your small group is just you and him....

I didnt think it needed to be said but please no covid bashing responses. please! Just some constructive answers would be appreciated. Youre not achieving anything ramming covid rules down peoples necks. Small group ride would indicated 2+ obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

personally i just cant go fast for the 1st hour, i normally just let club spins go off because if i dont take it steady then im done for i do just keep going at the same pace all day though (although that is fairly slow these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    I didnt think it needed to be said but please no covid bashing responses. please! Just some constructive answers would be appreciated. Youre not achieving anything ramming covid rules down peoples necks. Small group ride would indicated 2+ obviously.

well I don’t think any one breaching current restrictions should be encourage on an public forum. You can see by the busy 5km cycle thread many here are doing their best to stick to it so that the rest is of might get out of lock down at some stage. People like you are ruining it for the rest of us and making sure we get kept locked up for another year so please don’t encourage it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    thanks for the back seat modding. come back to us at the end of the week when we know if restrictions are being lifted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement