Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

2nd mortgage or Granny flat investment?

• 28-03-2021 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ FrankC21

Hi

My wife and I are thinking of either taking out a second mortgage to buy a bit bigger property than we are in now and rent out the current house we live in or building a granny flat as a rental investment in our back garden in 5 years time.

*Current house estimated rental value €1300-€1500 close to shops and big general hospital.

*Granny flat estimated rental value €800-€1000

Current mortgage €850 monthly with 5 years fixed rate term.

We have a 6month old baby.

Is it possible to have 2 mortgage? We have 5 years to save for a deposit for 2nd mortgage if decided to go this route or capital to build granny flat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ scouserstation

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi

My wife and I are thinking of either taking out a second mortgage to buy a bit bigger property than we are in now and rent out the current house we live in or building a granny flat as a rental investment in our back garden in 5 years time.

*Current house estimated rental value €1300-€1500 close to shops and big general hospital.

*Granny flat estimated rental value €800-€1000

Current mortgage €850 monthly with 5 years fixed rate term.

We have a 6month old baby.

Is it possible to have 2 mortgage? We have 5 years to save for a deposit for 2nd mortgage if decided to go this route or capital to build granny flat.

The chances of getting planning permission to build a granny flat in your garden is quite slim, so that idea could be out the window already, unless you do it on the qt and pretend your just building a cabin as a home office or playroom

Advertisement