Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleat coming out of pedal starting sprint

Options
  • 28-03-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi folks. I’ve started doing sprint training and on inclines pushing biggest gear from a relatively slow start wind up to speed one of my shoes is popping out of the pedal. I’m currently using the yellow shimano cleats with the 6deg movement. Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Worn cleat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

This will cause you to crash heavily (I know ...) ,better get it sorted fast .Spring tension ,worn cleat or cleat alignment /pulling sideways are about only variables involved .Good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

How often should cleats be changed?
    Will the blue cleat with 2deg movement hold tighter in the pedal?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How often should cleats be changed?
    Will the blue cleat with 2deg movement hold tighter in the pedal?
    Change them when the begin to easily unclip (I usually change before that). Regardless of the degree of float, no cleat will stay engaged if it's worn.

Light / medium / heavy user id say around 18 /12/6 months but rough guess .Dont forget it depends on whether you walk around on rough surfaces with them as well as mileage .I think those with some but not much ankle angular movement are best .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do people alternate them. I always unclip the right at lights. So it’s far more worse than the left

ted1 wrote: »
    Do people alternate them. I always unclip the right at lights. So it’s far more worth than the left

That would take unnatural coordination /determination/thrift!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

2011abc wrote: »
    That would take unnatural coordination /determination/thrift!

I try my best not to unclip at lights to tick the thrift box ;)

Ah yeah we would all gently lean on a railing etc to save unclipping but using the opposite foot would seem very unnatural

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

2011abc wrote: »
    Ah yeah we would all gently lean on a railing etc to save unclipping but using the opposite foot would seem very unnatural

You my friend need to up your track standing game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    Do people alternate them. I always unclip the right at lights. So it’s far more worse than the left
    Sometimes I swap them. I always unclip my left as it's not my dominant one so it wears more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I always unclip my left foot to stop at lights so on the bike I use for commuting/urban spins my left foot is unclipped numerous times compared to just once (twice if there's coffee involved) for my right foot. Last year I found that my left shoe was unclipping with little or no effort so I replaced the cleats (Shimano) and all was well for a few months. In the last couple of weeks these new cleats are now disengaging when I pull my left foot up - no need to twist. Same happens with my other shoes on this bike. So I reckon the pedals have simply become weak with use or possibly the lip on the jaw that engages has become worn. I've no issue with any shoes/cleats on a different bike. I tightened the adjustment screw on the pedal but little or no difference.

It looks like pedals are the issue in my case.

While pedals could possibly be the culprit for the OP it's probably best to go for the less expensive option of replacing the cleats and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I can understand Look cleats or similar for racing but I am curious as to why anyone would use anything other than SPD (recessed) for commuting or even training. I realise it might mean owning 2 pairs of shoes but for regular putting your foot down, stopping for coffee/beer, and generally walking around to and from bike it seems to me that shoes you can walk comfortably in and not worry about wearing exposed cleats (and slipping) are more sensible?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

SPD cleats will eventually wear down with the rubber on the shoes. If you try and replace them the new cleat will then protrude below the shoe. So they may wear more slowly than plastic cleats, but they do eventually wear down and then the whole shoe needs replacing.

I use SPDs and like them, but if you wear overshoes in winter the bottoms wear out quicker because they don’t have a cleat sticking out below them. Also if you want a power meter, using SPDs reduces your options.

No system is perfect.

Advertisement