Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City 1851 census (transcriptions)

Options
  • 28-03-2021 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this query - but looked on the search function and couldn't see a specific answer.

I have been accessing Findmypast through the Library login for lockdown, and saw that they have some of the transcriptions of the Dublin City related 1851 census - specifically some 59,000 names (or something like that). I've searched through the findmypast site, and wanted to have a look at the originals (the information supplied by Findmypast seems very scant, just a name, parish, and address) .

So, does anyone have a link to the transcriptions so that I can have a look for myself? I have looked on the National Archives page, and of course see the census link. When searching the 1851 and limiting to Dublin, it brings up 26 results. I know I'm missing something very obvious, but any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The 1851 transcriptions that are on FMP were originally done by a site called Irishorigins which was bought out by FMP a few years ago.

This list was created after that census and shows heads of household only for Dublin city. The information, as you say, is very scant - just an address, civil parish and name. I think it was something to do with helping civil servants process pension claimants.

I am not aware of these records being on the National Archives site at all, although they do hold the original lists from which it was created, but they do not have more information.

I think the details from FMP (for once, quite a good guide) should be accessible without a subscription.

https://www.findmypast.ie/transcript?id=IRE%2FENEC003%2F38096

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Thanks for that, PinkyPinky - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

At some stage I saw some images of the documents this was based on, they were handwritten in a notebook/ledger, think it was on the IrishOrigins system or their newsletter/blog - fairly neat handwriting, but no additional detail

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ambros1a

Find My Past's version does not include house numbers. I saw a print copy of the index (Sean Magee's edition) in the Dublin City Archives and it includes the house numbers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh interesting. So I actually just went and checked on FMP.
    The transcription does not have a number, but the images show the numbers, as you say.

I hadn't noticed the difference because I originally used this resource on IrishOrigins, which did display numbers. I'm very lucky to have a 3x greatgrandfather with an uncommon name, so I can be sure I've got him in this record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ambros1a

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Oh interesting. So I actually just went and checked on FMP.
    The transcription does not have a number, but the images show the numbers, as you say.

I hadn't noticed the difference because I originally used this resource on IrishOrigins, which did display numbers. I'm very lucky to have a 3x greatgrandfather with an uncommon name, so I can be sure I've got him in this record.

It's one of my big frustrations with FMP that they often only have transcriptions and not accompanying images.

Advertisement