Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants

Options
  • 27-03-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I noticed today that I have loads and loads of ants in my polytunnel, there appears to be three or four different nests. Should I just ignore them or are they likely to become a problem as I start growing tomatoes and other veg ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

They’ll just keep coming back and will eat the bugs that would eat your plant so are a good pest

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Have loads in my polytunnel..They don't bother me so I don't bother them.

Never had them eat anything on me yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They’ll just keep coming back and will eat the bugs that would eat your plant so are a good pest
    or else they'll start farming aphids and defend them from animals who would predate on the aphids...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

There was a shrub in our garden that we thought the ants had killed (I know).
    When we dug it out and realised it was planted in about 3cm of topsoil and the burrowing of the ants had created a path for root to find its way to deeper soil. If anything they had kept it alive for far longer that it should have. They seemed pleased when I pulled it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Or, when you are working in the tunnel or picking crops, they will find their way onto your person and give you a nasty sting,not very pleasant for young kids who you want to instruct in gardening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Or, when you are working in the tunnel or picking crops, they will find their way onto your person and give you a nasty sting,not very pleasant for young kids who you want to instruct in gardening.

Nasty sting, you’re a bit delicate to be growing things 😅 What young kids is the op “instructing”?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I'll just leave them alone and see how we get on with each other. I never thought that Irish ants were capable of giving any sort of a sting or bite worth talking about. If there is any kids in the tunnel I'll let them see the ants and explain all about them, including possible slight irritating sting, and let the kids look after themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I'll just leave them alone and see how we get on with each other. I never thought that Irish ants were capable of giving any sort of a sting or bite worth talking about. If there is any kids in the tunnel I'll let them see the ants and explain all about them, including possible slight irritating sting, and let the kids look after themselves. :)

Sting depends on the person. I find them sharp enough but then again if I get stung by horse fly I come out a lump as big as a your thumb nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Nasty sting, you’re a bit delicate to be growing things 😅 What young kids is the op “instructing”?
    1.Depends what part of the trouser area they get into.
    2. They are not instructing, I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Ants have been in my garden for a couple of years now and they seem to be fine. I spray them when they start farming aphids on woody plants, which harms the plants and is quite unsightly. I've planted a few scented herbs this year around where they normally hang out to deter them a bit. As long as they don't come in the house they're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sting depends on the person. I find them sharp enough but then again if I get stung by horse fly I come out a lump as big as a your thumb nail.

Yeah I know the feeling re horse fly bites..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

We planted two apple trees 2 years ago and last summery, ants were farming aphids on both trees. They nearly killed both trees so it's definitely worth keeping an eye on

Advertisement