Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader - Donation to Charity - Tax relief / expense?

Options
  • 27-03-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a sole trader.

I just made a donation to a registered charity.

Is there any tax relief / expense claim a sole trader can make? Possibly not, but worth asking!

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/charities-and-sports-bodies/charitable-donation-scheme/index.aspx

The charity can get a tax relief where the donation is at least €250. The donation is grossed up at 31% and provided the donor has paid at least that much in tax the charity can get that from Revenue.

So say €1,000 donation to a registered charity. That becomes €1,449. Provided the donor has paid at least €449 in the relevant tax year the charity can claim that from Revenue.

The donor does not get any relief themselves but the value of the donation is worth more in the hands of the charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That was my understanding, thanks for confirming.

Advertisement