Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dura Ace 7800 Wheelset

Options
  • 27-03-2021 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I have a set of the above, in pristine condition, been in storage for about 15 years, before that very little usage - I bought them on ebay for one of those projects that never happened. I'm looking to move them on now and wondering where would be the best place to put them up for sale, also has anyone ideas about how much would be a fair price to put on them. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For starters - get 'em up here with pics. I'd be surprised if you couldn't shift a pair of mid-level wheels handily enough with the n+1 appetites here :)

7800 was a 9/10spd hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

If they're Dura Ace, you've already got me on the hook :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

MojoMaker wrote: »
    For starters - get 'em up here with pics. I'd be surprised if you couldn't shift a pair of mid-level wheels handily enough with the n+1 appetites here :)

7800 was a 9/10spd hub?

first 10 speed from the early noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep, but is the hub 9/10 or 10/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

..9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 galway rower

As far as I can remember 7800 hubs are 10 speed only. You can only use Dura ace, Ultegera and 105 10 speed cassettes as the splines are taller than usual on all 7800 free hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As far as I can remember 7800 hubs are 10 speed only. You can only use Dura ace, Ultegera and 105 10 speed cassettes as the splines are taller than usual on all 7800 free hubs.

Yep, they are a pain of a hub... barely compatible with Shimanos own cassettes let alone anyone else's. I don't know about the usual 10->11 speed conversion tricks i.e. machine a mm off the free hub or do the same off the back of a metal carrier backed 11 speed cassette like an Ultegra 6800 etc... Or even a conversion cassette like the Edco. Probably not as easy as it could be.

These did not sell especially well back in the day, either the wheels or the hubs for that very reason and towards the back end of the 10 speed era I remember them being often discounted... but if you are rebuilding a period correct higher end 10 speed shimano bike they are a very nice touch at the right price.

Advertisement