Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultegra shifter repair

Options
  • 27-03-2021 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Ultegra R8000 LH shifter sticking making it difficult to shift up to the big ring... are these shifters basically disposable or can they be repaired?

I've tried soaking the shifter with WD 40 to clean out any grease that may have gunked up that didn't solve the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Fairly certain they can be fixed but maybe try AC-90 first as I find that much better that wd-40 for getting stuff unstuck.

As an aside its actually quite easy to replace a shifter if it comes to that but hopefully not.

Also have you checked the tension in the cable to the derailer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How old is it? And what sort of warranty is offered on them usually?
    If it's a manufacturing defect I'd be going back to the shop with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Yep, my first thought here would be stretched cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Make sure you're addressing the right problem! I had similiar issues and initially assumed it was the mech itself, jammed up with road dirt, grime, etc so cleaned that, still had problem. Then decided it must be the shifter so replaced that, still had problem. Then remembered I had recabled the bike and cut the gear outer cables myself. Now these cables are made of a wire spiral and when you cut them the end of the spiral closes in over the hole. I had used a bradawl to open it but not enough and over time the inner cable got snagged more and more until it wasn't moving freely. Tidied up end of outer and new inner and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

Make sure you're addressing the right problem! I had similiar issues and initially assumed it was the mech itself, jammed up with road dirt, grime, etc so cleaned that, still had problem. Then decided it must be the shifter so replaced that, still had problem. Then remembered I had recabled the bike and cut the gear outer cables myself. Now these cables are made of a wire spiral and when you cut them the end of the spiral closes in over the hole. I had used a bradawl to open it but not enough and over time the inner cable got snagged more and more until it wasn't moving freely. Tidied up end of outer and new inner and problem solved.

Same thing happened to me! Felt a right eejit when eventually I worked it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

I have the R7000
    Also had issues shifting from small to big
    Not sure if this is the same issue you're having but the fix explained in this video solved my problem with it

https://youtu.be/-mCwvDtRw8U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Thanks for the replies folks... the shifter is only a year old but has over 10,000 kms on it so not sure about warranty. I left it in to the local bike shop who ruled out cable tension issues and told me that shimano parts just wear out eventually. Will check out other possible cable issue that Paul had... thanks again.

G1032 wrote: »
    I have the R7000
    Not sure if this is the same issue you're having but the fix explained in this video solved my problem with it

Interesting... thanks, will check this out ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks... the shifter is only a year old but has over 10,000 kms on it so not sure about warranty. I left it in to the local bike shop who ruled out cable tension issues and told me that shimano parts just wear out eventually. Will check out other possible cable issue that Paul had... thanks again.

A year and 10,000km is justabout run in, many people here including myself will have Ultegra with north of 50,000km still working perfectly, if it's the shifter it should be warranty covered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and if it is not easily fixed, don't forget that whatever warranty the shop offer is moot in the face of the law; an item should be of merchantable quality and last what would be considered a reasonable length of time for such an item.
    a near-pro level shifter should last more than a year.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    A year and 10,000km is justabout run in, many people here including myself will have Ultegra with north of 50,000km still working perfectly, if it's the shifter it should be warranty covered.

Thanks... Yes I've put a lot more kms on shifters in the past but I think warranty is for 1 year unfortunately as I'm just over. I have electronic shifting on the good bike and love it so might give the winter bike an upgrade.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I think warranty is for 1 year unfortunately
    again, the warranty offered at sale is secondary to what consumer law says.

"You are entitled to the remedies for at least 2 years under EU law. In Ireland, you have 6 years to use your right to a repair, replacement or refund."
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

again, the warranty offered at sale is secondary to what consumer law says.

"You are entitled to the remedies for at least 2 years under EU law. In Ireland, you have 6 years to use your right to a repair, replacement or refund."
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html

You are not wrong but to quote my lbs Shimano are (unts.

Which leaves the OP in a tricky spot as his contract is with the retailer; grand with an online retailer but not nice when your lbs gets stonewalled by Shimano (or whoever the distributor is) and leaves you needing to go through lbs to get to Shimano

Well known issue with ultegra cranks which Shimano did sweet fcuk all about for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

OPs contract is with the LBS. He doesn’t need to concern himself with Shimano. That is for the LBS to recover their costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

hesker wrote: »
    OPs contract is with the LBS.

Which is what I posted.

To many the lbs is more than just a retailer. I'd have no problem telling Wiggle or whoever to just replace my shifter not so much the lbs who would probably be left on the hook for it by Madison or whoever.

It really depends where OP bought product and how he gets on with lbs if he got it there

G1032 wrote: »
    I have the R7000

I've given this fix a try and it seems to be working so far... haven't had any shifting issues since. Thanks very much for posting.

Advertisement