Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of coins in 2021

Options
  • 26-03-2021 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Went to my local PTSB branch this afternoon with all my coins bagged correctly, and totals marked on the bags, along with a post-it detailing each bag and what's in it with total sum of all bags.

I had about €50 in coins, cashier told me they only accept full bags i.e. full amount of say €5 in 5 cent coins, which I thought odd.

From searching around on google, it seems the only place to get rid of coins these days is at your local tesco or supervalu at either "Coinstar" machines, or "Coindrum". These machines can charge upto 12% for the service.

Has anyone else any alternatives?

Disappointing to be honest, I also bank with AIB but disheartened now about driving the whole way to my branch to be told the same thing.

also £40 in sterling coins babgged correctly but I wasn't as worried about these as doubt anywhere down here would take them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No one will take sterling coins

Post office and CU's take coins that are bagged correctly, as per the amount stated on the bag, but may charge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

It's a long time since I've taken a non-full bag of coin to a bank, only full bags usually accepted. I take a bag every year at Christmas but would always just hold back any bag that wasn't full until I had enough to fill it. It's of no use to them bagging an odd amount really, they just don't want it!

Keep the odd amounts until you can fill a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭shane b

cashier told me they only accept full bags i.e. full amount of say €5 in 5 cent coins, which I thought odd.

Bank of ireland has been the same for long long time now. I'd say you have been lucky getting partial bags exchanged up to this point.
    It's a pain when your short those 4 or 5 coins to fill the bag completely and have to come back to it in a week or months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Just use them at a self service check out the next time you are shopping. I always just throw my lose shrapnel into them and pay the balance with card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Annoy everyone in the queue by using them to pay for stuff at the self service checkout in Dunnes.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Has anyone else any alternatives?

Spend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Never thought of that, thanks Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Annoy everyone in the queue by using them to pay for stuff at the self service checkout in Dunnes.

Go one better, wait until there's only one checkout in operation in your local Lidl or Aldi. Pour the coins out in a heap and tell the checkout operator you forgot your reading glasses! That's what my local coin hoarders get up to for entertainment.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Donate the coins to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If anyone plans to do this using Dunnes self service tills bare in mind that they are incredibly slow at counting coins, you can however load them with a load of coins and just wait for them to sort.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When they reopen, bookie shops might take your coins. Most bets are in whole euros but a lot of payouts involve smaller coins so they would have a net requirement for coins each day.

Advertisement