Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Prebuilt Right Away or Wait?

Options
  • 26-03-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

I ordered an Alienware Aurora R9 that's due to arrive Monday (v sad it wasn't today so that I'd have the weekend at it) and just want to know if there is anything I should upgrade right away. I bought it because I've been stuck for a PC and buying parts was such a mess that I went pre-built for the first time.

The specs are;

Intel Core i7 9700.
    16GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 (might upgrade to 32GB)
    256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (might swap the HDD for a 2TB SSD)
    Alienware™ 460 Watt Power Supply (Is this ok?)

I'm mega excited to get it and plan on having it for the next 3-5 years so I don't mind doing some upgrades now so that I don't need to be at it in year or two time.

Thanks all!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭djan

mamaz wrote: »
    Hi all,

I ordered an Alienware Aurora R9 that's due to arrive Monday (v sad it wasn't today so that I'd have the weekend at it) and just want to know if there is anything I should upgrade right away. I bought it because I've been stuck for a PC and buying parts was such a mess that I went pre-built for the first time.

The specs are;

Intel Core i7 9700.
    16GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 (might upgrade to 32GB)
    256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (might swap the HDD for a 2TB SSD)
    Alienware™ 460 Watt Power Supply (Is this ok?)

I'm mega excited to get it and plan on having it for the next 3-5 years so I don't mind doing some upgrades now so that I don't need to be at it in year or two time.

Thanks all!

You'd probably want a graphics card ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Haha dunno why i left that out!! It has a 2060 that'll be staying in it for a long time I reckon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's no point in upgrading to 32Gb RAM.

At most i would consider a 1Tb SSD for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There's no point in upgrading to 32Gb RAM.

At most i would consider a 1Tb SSD for games.

tbh the RAM is more for college work using IntelliJ, Visual Studio and Virtual Box. Although Cities Skylines loves eating RAM too.

I was considering the 2TB SSD because it's only €150 on Amazon at the moment. How come you would only consider 1TB? Games like COD absolutely hoard storage space. Luckily I don't play it but just curious - I'd only play EFT, RL, MC and maybe Assetto Corsa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ah didn't even check 2Tb pricing.
    Yeah go for the better €/GB alright.

I misread it as a gaming only PC hence no need for 32Gb, but if you think you can exceed that usage then fire away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement